Chapter 101

Levi POV

"We need firewood."

"The authorities give you what you need. So why are you out here?"

"The authorities don't give a shit about us. You want to survive out here? Well, you fucking have to do it with your own power."

"What inspiring words. Any more of that tonight?"

Words...sentences...broken and shattered and all over the place. Something hurt. Then again it didn't.

"Eren!" A girl. A voice. The forests. Shiganshina. The boy...

The boy.

He groaned. Someone was calling his name. Huh. He couldn't remember it...what had...what had happened? Was he...where...

"In my defense I have to admit that it was my father's wish and instruction to veil the existence of my brother."

He knew those words. Had heard the same conversation before. Where? Who was talking? What...

"He is alive somewhere; of that I am sure. His mother took him with her when she fled the palace ten years ago. They must have settled down somewhere by now."

A connection...he needed a connection...

"Faris."

"Huh?"

"Your name. Faris."

A voice. Thick with a strange accent. Brown eyes. A voice...he knew that voice...

"The king...never mentioned your name."

"I wouldn't have expected him to."

"Do you have a name?"

"Of course."

A name...what was he...

"Eren."

Eren...

"Levi!"

A sharp voice forced him out of the fog that clouded his mind. Out of the memories that lulled him in; wanted him to go back to sleep. Levi. His name.

He shook his head, grunting in pain when he felt the headaches splitting his bones in two.

"Eyebrows...", he uttered and raised a hand, only to find that he couldn't move them. He forced his eyes open and blinked against the flickering candlelight. Shadows danced in front of his vision and the ground was...moving. Which was...strange. Grounds weren't supposed to move.

"Careful, you've been sedated."

"No shit, sherlock.", Levi murmured and tried to shrug off the dizziness in his limbs. "What the hell happened?" He turned his head and groaned, his neck stiff and cold and hot and uncomfortable in every imaginable way. How long had he been unconscious for?

"Look around you. Maybe you can figure it out on your own.", Erwin mumbled, his voice strangely disconnected. As if it was only his body speaking without a hint of the soul within.

Levi followed the man's advice and looked around the room. It was the throne room. Big and pompous, just like he remembered it. But the soldiers standing around, silent and with deep frowns on their faces were...strange. As were their unusual uniforms, void of the patterns Levi was used to see on a daily base.

He wanted to get up, to get his weapons. But when he tried to move, something kept him on the ground and to his dismay he found that he was chained against one of the pillars holding the ceiling above them upright.