Chapter 27

Eren POV

The plates in Eren's hand crashed on the floor.

The noise alarmed Mikasa, who had been staying by his side since they had sent Sasha and Connie to get Armin back here, to see what they had been able to do in the short time.

"Eren! What's wrong?" She put a hand on his arm, waiting for her brother to respond but he only managed to gasp in shock, when a strange feeling caught his breath in his throat.

That feeling.

He...he knew it.

"Kasa...", he whispered and closed his eyes in concentration to restrain the need to lash out at the hand touching him; at the girl who always worried about him.

"What is it?", the familiar voice of his sister asked him, letting go of his arm and Eren exhaled relieved, not noticing the hurt expression dancing across Mikasa's features.

He breathed in and out.

In.

Out.

Slowly. Controlled.

Just what the fuck is wrong with me?

He felt it again. That...that feeling as if...as if something was awakening inside of him, clawing at his heart. Telling him to do something about the urges he felt burning inside of him. Eren knelt on the floor, placing his hands on the cold floor and didn't listen to Mikasa's panicked voice, trying to get him to answer her.

What are you?

It was the same feeling.

The same feeling from when he met General Ackerman. Like a...a feral beast getting called to show it's ugly face. A beast hidden inside of him.

"Eren! I will go get someone, just stay here and-"

"I'm...I'm fine.", he coughed and shook his head, desperately trying to rid himself of whatever it was that wanted him to hurt his sister. "Just...dizzy."

He grabbed her hand, holding on to it to get himself back to reality. Maybe even to scare that monster that recoiled in anger when it felt the contact to another human.

The feeling disappeared with a growl only Eren was able to hear.

But somehow, he knew it would come back. It always would.

"Is Armin back yet?" He coughed and stood up again, steading himself with the help of the table he had been standing next to. Mikasa made a step back, granting him some space.

"No. Not yet. But he will be soon."

He sent her a rare smile, not allowing the slight pain to show on his face. He had other things to worry about. Not some strange feelings.

"Then we should get ready. This evening will show them that they can still have fun."

"Under your father's rule.", Mikasa uttered and he nodded, the smile yielding to the grim, strained expression he had been wearing far too often since coming to the palace.

"And someday under mine."

- - -

Armin's eyes were glinting in the face of the light the torches on the walls and the candles Mikasa and the other servants had lit.

"Eren...that's...I'm..."

"Sad that we didn't get to make it a little more fabulous?", the boy teased his blond friend with a wink and Armin chuckled, taking a step forward and taking a look at all the changes they had made in the short time.