Chapter 47

Mikasa POV

During the long walk back to the servant's wing, Mikasa was somewhere else with her mind. Other servants would pass by but she didn't notice them. Even if she had – she wouldn't have greeted them anyway.

"Watch out!"

The warning came too late.

Mikasa hissed in pain, when boiling water met her skin. She shrunk back, her hand pressed against her stomach, where the liquid had burnt her.

"Oh, by the Gods...I'm so sorry! Are you hurt? You are hurt! Ah, I am so clumsy!"

She inhaled deeply, suppressing the tears that wanted to well up in her eyes at the pain that was spreading on her skin, her clothes sticking to her body.

"It's fine.", she interrupted the rambling girl that was pressing her hands to her mouth with doe-like eyes widened in fright.

"Oh no, we need to get you some help! It must hurt so much..."

"I told you, I'm fine.", Mikasa mumbled. A fragile hand gabbed her arm and she raised her head. Their eyes locked and her breath hitched, when brilliant orbs of mismatched answers bore into her own.

"I would feel awful if this wound scarred because of me.", the girl said with a small, apologetic smile. "You don't even have to tell anyone; I am used to patching up wounds."

When Mikasa did neither accept nor reject her offer, the girl's grin widened and she dragged the confused girl with her through the corridor.

- - -

"Ah, that doesn't look good but it could be worse.", the girl said while inspecting Mikasa's red skin. She didn't touch her, only let her eyes wander over the abused spot. A relieved smile ran over her worried features. "Ah, I'm glad!"

Mikasa was quiet, her voice stolen by the odd person looking through some shelves in the small room she had dragged her in. Now she was sitting on a small, creaky bed with a strangely fluffy pillow – unusual for the rooms of simple servants.

"Who are you?", Mikasa asked, brushing her long hair aside to give her 'savior' better access to the wound. "I have never seen you before."

A spy maybe? Would Queen Historia tell her spies about us? About Eren's heritage?

She narrowed her eyes, which went unnoticed by the busy servant girl kneeling in front of her, her expert hands applying some creamy paste on her abdomen. Mikasa was still wearing something to cover her breasts and her pants.

But other than that, she weas completely naked.

Not that the girl seemed to mind. She was focused on helping her, her gaze jumping from one spot to the next. The girl winced in sympathy when she touched a quite dark spot and Mikasa bit her lip to suppress the pained moan that wanted to escape her mouth.

"I am no one.", she laughed nervously. "It's no wonder that you have never noticed me around. You are the scary, famous 'Kasa' after all."

She cocked an eyebrow at the nickname.

"But you do seem to know me."

"Everyone here knows about you." The girl smiled up at her, breaking their skin contact for a second.

"But how do you know my-"

"Your name?", she asked, continuing her work with the same precise motions as before. "I heard how that boyfriend of yours mentioned it now and then."

"Not a name...", she muttered. "Just a nickname."

The girl hummed softly.

"Then if I may ask – what is your name then?"

"Mikasa."

"Mikasa. Kasa. Your boyfriend is right, the nickname suits you.", she chuckled and sat down on her heels. Red crept up Mikasa's cheeks and she turned her head away, hoping that her black hair would cover most of it.

"He isn't my boyfriend."

"Just a friend then."

"My brother."

The girl met her gaze with an astonished glint in her eyes.

"You don't look alike at all."

Mikasa looked down at her thighs.

"We are not blood-related." Why was she telling a stranger about this? Many siblings didn't look alike.

"Oh.", the girl said pensively.

Something inside Mikasa burned to ask the girl for her name. She blinked at her through the soft strands of hair that had fallen into her face.

Thin hair in the color of fresh charcoals, round ears that peeked out from beneath them and vivid eyes together with filigree, albeit strong fingers formed the girl's beauty.

"Who are you?", Mikasa asked quietly, not listening to the warning voice in her head that told her to stay away from anyone who could complicate the plan. The girl rose from her place in front of Mikasa and put away her utensils.

"I already told you that-"

"Your name.", she said and put her shirt back on. Her breath caught but she quickly recovered from her stiffness. Mikasa saw how she clenched and unclenched her fists.

"Kou."

Mikasa took a step forward, facing the girl – Kou.

"Then tell me one thing, Kou.", she whispered.

Suddenly she lunged forward and pressed the girl against the wall, a hand on her throat.

"Why were you spying on me and my brother?"

- - -

The girl fought against her grip with everything she got, wanting to get rid of the elbow against her neck.

"I – I don't know what you're talking about!" She struggled to get air into her lungs, broken gasps escaping her open mouth. "I...I only ran into you-"

"To make it look like an accident, I know.", Mikasa snarled, her hair wild around her shoulders and falling into her eyes. "I have survived in conditions that would make you go insane. Don't think me to be oblivious enough to not notice someone overhearing my conversations."

Kou swallowed; the feeling hard against the fingers that Mikasa wrapped around her throat now.

"Tell me what you heard.", she growled. "Tell me!"

"Let go of me!", the girl whimpered. "I...I will tell you...I will tell you everything!"

"You can whine like a dog – you can talk as well.", Mikasa replied with a sharp edge to her voice. When Kou didn't answer right away, she tightened her grip on the girl's throat. "Answer! Or I'll make sure that you won't be able to tell anyone anything ever again!"

She couldn't hide the panic behind her hissed words. If only a single person knew about them...Eren would never forgive her. He trusted her with his whole life and identity.

"I...I only heard about some kind of plan...", Kou croaked. "And...something about using General Smith and Ackerman. But...but I don't know anything! I..."

It was enough for Mikasa to hear.

The girl knew far too much.

But...what the hell was she supposed to do now...?

Explain the situation to her? Reveal her brother's identity and their whole plan?

Eren...

(And with this chapter we meet one of my OCs! Kou is an afterthought I had - she was supposed to come into the picture a long time ago and now she's finally here!

But what will Mikasa do about her? She knows too much and what if she's a spy? Or just scared enough to tell the King about them?

Will she tell Eren about Kou? Will she harm the girl?

What would you do in her shoes?)