Chapter 85

Levi POV

The day went by. Levi continued to act as if he wasn't tense and ready to punch someone if it could get out the tightness in his gut whenever he thought about what awaited him later on when the sun left the sky once again and only the stars and the moon stayed to watch over humanity.

He trained his soldiers, kicked some of them if they were exceptionally dumb and incapable or keen on getting on his nerves. Levi knew that they noticed him looking toward the sun every now and then, anticipation only one of the feelings torturing him.

Why had Faris wanted them to meet up so late? Why not talk back in Erwin's office?

He chewed on his lip. It was a habit he had hoped to shake off some day and yet it only took the words of some smug servant to make him act like...this.

The soldiers exhaled thankfully, some of them breaking down right then and there when he finally told them to fuck off and left their lazy asses and tortured moans behind. The snow gnashed under his weight as he stepped through the gardens.

Sunlight shone on his face and if it weren't for the annoying screeching behind him, he probably would have enjoyed the calm afternoon for once.

"Leeevviiiiiiii!"

Izzy barked happily at the lunatic approaching them with big steps, their uniform tight and black as the night – a stark contrast to the glowing snow.

"Shut up, fucking glasses.", he grumbled when his cheery friend threw their arms around him, followed by a quiet 'Oof'. "I haven't been gone that long..."

"Oh, shorty, you have been gone way too long!"

"Get off of me."

"Grumpy, aren't we?", they laughed but let go of him so he could step aside and order Izzy to stand down, who was wagging her tail like crazy at the prospect of getting hugs from one of her oldest friends.

"Why are you even here? Weren't you supposed to be gone for at least a month?"

"The frontlines are full of soldiers and generals. The king ordered me to stay here in case those rebels plan something."

Levi flinched at the mention of the rebels but Hanji was too busy cuddling Izzy to notice.

"And where have you been? I barely saw you these last days."

"I had things to do."

Hanji grinned at him and stood up from where they had been kneeling in the snow next to his giant beast.

"Things like His Royal Highness, the Second Prince of Eldia?"

"What are you even fucking talking about?", he hissed and turned his head away, avoiding their nosy gaze. "It would be treason to even think about-"

"Whatever dirty pictures your mind is conjuring up right now..." She wiggled her eyebrows and snickered at the thin line of his mouth.

"You don't know what the fuck you're talking about."

"Have you seen him again?"

"What? Why would I-"

"Your unit is searching for him, isn't it?", Hanji enquired, serious for once. He exhaled, some of the tension seeping out of his body. Their presence tended to do that to him whenever he felt like he was about to rip something apart.

What did I think they were talking about?

"Yeah. Yeah, we are."

"Any results yet?"