Chapter 6

Levi POV

The forests of Shiganshina.

Those big ass trees offered the perfect disguise for their plans. Erwin's plans.

"Levi. You're back.", Eyebrows said when he entered the huge tent they had built up in the middle of their camp. Even though they would only stay for the night an outsider might think they were supposed to be there for at least a week.

"Had to take a shit. Was interrupted by those useless soldiers."

Erwin's laugh rumbled in my chest. He put his hands on the table in front of him and directed his eyes at the map spread out there. Marked with tiny flags were the positions of their enemy.

They were waiting for them at the border to Eldia, waiting for them to start the war that had been of diplomatic nature so far. Things were about to get ugly.

"I'm sorry they are making you problems."

Levi snorted and leaned against a small, wooden pillar of the tent. Behind Eyebrows he saw the bed his men had built up for the night. It consisted of simple wood and a cold, hard mat but it was better than having to sleep on the ground.

Not that Levi would mind either way.

"Met some brats in the forest. I didn't know they lived so far out here."

At that Eyebrows raised his head from the map and a frown ran across his face, showing off his wrinkles. He wasn't old by any means. But war tended to make a man older by the minute.

"They don't. It is forbidden for them to go to the forest since the authorities here give them all they need."

Levi thought back to those two kids. The raven-haired one with her axe and eyes that screamed murder when he had hit the other one. Her brother if he recalled correctly.

They both had carried axes with them.

"Probably collected some firewood.", Levi shrugged. He didn't give a shit about what they planned to do there as long as they didn't pose a threat to their operation.

"Even then it is forbidden for them to chop the wood in this forest.", Eyebrows said, crossing his arms.

"Who fucking cares if it's forbidden? Rules don't mean anything to those brats, Eyebrows."

"They will if they are to be punished for their crime."

Levi scowled at his superior.

"Crime? What's the big deal?"

"This forest is a main source of wood for the King. Hence, he prohibited the citizens of Shiganshina to cut down trees or chop some wood. Collecting sticks even counts as a crime and is often punished."

"That's bullshit."

"Levi, language."

"Oh, fuck me, Eyebrows. That's ridiculous. A ban for getting some firewood? How the fuck are they supposed to survive the winters without?"

Levi ignored the stern look on Erwin's face and stepped forward, facing his superior with a sour expression.

"The authorities..."

"We both know that the authorities don't give a shit about them."

"I didn't know you worry about Eldia's citizens so much, Levi. Perhaps your personal interests and the interests of the military differ a bit."

That was as much of a warning Eyebrows could give without voicing it directly. He narrowed his eyes in a cautious way, waiting for the general to respond.