Chapter 15

Eren POV

Getting Mikasa into their room late at night hadn't been a problem from the start. The guards must think that they were about to do Gods knew what with her and even though the thought made Eren cringe it was better than being questioned by them.

"So you plan to contact the Queen? To do what? You are the son of her worst enemy. She won't treat you like she treats her own."

"Do you think I'm not aware of that already, Kasa?", he grumbled and crossed his arms behind his neck. He yawned and eyed his pillow longingly. How he would love to catch some sleep suddenly, when sleep hadn't been on his radar for the last weeks.

"Mikasa, it is dangerous, it really is. But..."

"No, Armin. You are totally right. It is dangerous. I must live with the thought that my brother is about to fight the strongest and most powerful man in all of Eldia and now you want to get him to contact a person who most likely wants to use or kill him?"

Armin sighed, closing his eyes. The sleep he lacked showed on his face. On the way he appeared so much older than he was. At least he had a healthy amount of fat on his body or else Mikasa would come to feed him too.

"I worry about him just like you do, Mikasa."

"But..."

"He is my best friend. If I weren't certain that this approach of the situation is the right way, I wouldn't even suggest it. Don't you forget that all three of us will get killed if we get caught. Eren might be forced into becoming a puppet for his father but you and I?" He shook his head and didn't say anything else. It was clear as to where his thoughts were heading.

They imagined the same scenario in their dreams.

For some time no one said a thing. Mikasa leaned against her brother, enjoying the warmth he was offering and the familiar feeling of his rough hands.

"The meeting between the advisors of Marley and King Grisha is due in a week. Until then we have to think of any ally, of any way of strengthening our force."

"Force?", Eren snorted. "Ar, it's the three of us as of now."

"So you know where I'm heading with this."

"Who else could we ask? Who else would support a lost prince, a street rat without a past and a person with an intellect scarier than that damn general I have to face every day?"

Of course Mikasa was talking about Levi.

Eren had seen him just as much. And he knew that, when the time was ready, he would have to act his part to take advantage of the man's influence over Eldia's forces. He had heard the rumors about him. How scary he was, how strong, how fearless, how gruesome, how bloodthirsty – Eren would like to see that for himself.

"Eren. Are you still with us?"

"Stop snapping around in front of my face. Of course I am. I was just thinking of my father's forces.", Eren buzzed.

"What about them?", Mikasa asked, taking her fingers out of Eren's face. Armin watched their interactions with a faint smile. Just like old times. And yet so different.

"We need them. Not all of them are happy about his reign. I heard them talking to each other when I was gathering their empty plates after dinner.", Eren mumbled. Sleep threatened to take over but he did his best to stay awake. "They don't mind talking around servants. After all...who would believe someone you can kill so easily?"

There was nothing they knew to say when Eren went quiet.

Outside the thunder roared. Rain splattered against the window and Eren snuggled up against his sister, finding comfort in her familiar arms.