Chapter 92

Eren POV

Again.

He groaned and the walls around him shook with the energy he sent out.

Again.

He concentrated on his core, burning and glowing light the sun.

Again.

It hurt but he pushed through the agony, not minding the way his back arched in a way that shouldn't have been humanly possible. A choked sound let goosebumps appear on his skin and the thing inside him wanted to snarl at Mikasa for destroying their hard work.

She was watching him, sword ready in case he...needed it.

He had taught her how to move.

And he had avoided her questions regarding his own source of knowledge regarding his skills. Eren knew how to move a sword. He knew how to use it to defend himself, he knew how he should move it to kill.

He never revealed to his sister who had taught him. And he didn't plan on it. It would be his secret. One of many more. No matter how much he hated to keep them from the person he trusted the most.

Eren hissed with closed eyes, brows furrowed and jaw clenched uncomfortably.

Again.

Eryn's voice was accompanying him, driving him further over the edge and her presence, even if it was void of any body, was soothing. A soft embrace in the middle of the chaos.

Know your goal. Know what you aim to do.

With gritted teeth, he tried once again. To form his body. To morph it into what his core longed to be. It called out to him, loud and clear. Pushed the pictures of his true form into his mind until he could feel his body change.

Step by step.

His small chamber shook with his efforts and he ignored his subconscious concerns that someone might hear them. The other servants knew by now that it was best if they refrained from sticking their noses into his business.

No one would disturb them.

"You can do this, Eren.", Mikasa whispered, her voice astonished and terrified all the same and even though she desperately tried to keep her emotions hidden, he felt as if they were his own. He heard it in the slight tremor of her words, in the shivers that ran down her spine.

All the sensations were consuming his mind and he reveled in it.

Cracking sounds resonated in the room. He whimpered and bit down on his lip until his teeth drew blood.

Don't give up, my love. I am with you.

He gasped her name, pleading for something without knowing what exactly it was he was begging for.

The feeling of feathers was surrounding him, comforting him like a warm drink in the coldest winter. He sighed in relief. His soul was humming in tune with a melody he hadn't ever heard before and yet he knew it.

It reminded him of the songs his mother used to sing when he couldn't fall asleep.

And then there was something else...

He yelped and fell to the ground, heaving and crying out softly. His bones changed and he felt them break and rearrange themselves anew in the same second. It was unlike anything he had ever experienced before.

I am with you, darling. Eryn's gentle whispers were enough to urge him on. To suppress the anxiety tightening around his heart, unused to the change in body and soul alike.