37

Jeno's breathing slowed into a shallow syncopation of heaving. His hands were clammy with sweat and eyes holding a dying flame. He dropped his head for a second, shoving his emotions further down his stomach as he felt a hand being placed on his shoulder.

"I'm going" He grabbed his bag, shaking off Sooyun's hand; all he wanted to do was leave this atmosphere that seemed to be strangling him every breath he took

"You did the right thing, Jeno" Sooyun spoke, her voice soft with tenderness

He dug his foot into the ground, clenching his bag so hard it could've snapped right there and then.

"Shut up" He said with a hint of stiffness

"I warned you before that this would happen. That you would get too caught up with your own emotions and start to lie to yourself"

"My emotions weren't lies" He let out a side scoff, a corner of his lips lifting up in utter disbelief "Of course, you wouldn't know what it's like"

"Think about it Jeno. You'd have to let her go eventually, I told you that, you didn't listen. You spoke so big about not be scared of consequences, about how 'all that matters was that we're with each other now'. Gross. Now look, you've hurt her. " She took strides around the room with her arms crossed over, speaking in such a i-knew-this-would-happen tone.

"I want to remind you one more time, Sooyun. I didn't do this because I thought you were right, I did this to protect her. Letting go is more than just a goodbye" He looked at her in the eye "Something you wouldn't understand"

Yuri's eyes penetrated right through the floor as she tucked her books tightly against her chest, feet scraping the floor. She didn't cry last night, though, her heart was aching so much she was close to taking pain killers despite knowing that medicine only adds more guns to the war inside one's head. Her head pounded every step she took and little specks of blood were beginning to appear on her palm due to the intense amount of fist clenching she had done since the incident

She had shut everyone out, everyone who cared and everyone that could have helped her shed her caged tears. She just didn't want to hear anything besides the sweet song of silence.

She saw the floor transition into carpet, and that's when she had finally looked up. Her eyes made contact with Ten's, at that moment, she felt a whole waterfall hit her against her chest. She had missed him so much, her best friend, her anchor.

She couldn't form words and nor could he. They just stood there, staring at each other. Until Ten cracked a small smile, outstretching his arms. Yuri rooted in her spot for a second, before basically dropping everything and crashing in his arms. Her arms looped around him tightly in fear of losing him all over again.

Perhaps all she needed was a hug and a smile

"I know you probably don't want to apologise right now because you a, have too big of an ego to apologise or b, will cry if you say a single word now so as your dear ol' friend, i want to tell you that i'm sorry" Ten sighed, feeling her chuckle rumble against his chest.

"Thank you" She spoke, a tear sliding down her cheek. Shedding a tear is never a bad thing, it's just a physical representation that you care.

They didn't need an explanation, they didn't need to say a single word to know that it was going to be alright, even if it's just for now. The girl just wanted to feel as though someone was by her side, she just needed a little corner of peace. Just for now, she just wanted a moments of silence.