One Shot for Effy

A/N: This is for garithmatic.

Character: Matt Pike (from season 1, episode 8 - "Bugs")

Plot: You like bugs, and he's trying to stop you from becoming obsessed. He's still scared after the whole "Bugs" episode. When he cant deal with it, he gets you a necklace with a black widow spider in it. You kiss and then shove a big bug in his face.

*~*~*

"Effy, no," he whined as you searched through the bushes, looking for certain bugs. You smiled evilly and got up, facing him. "Why? A wee bit scared, are we?" you asked, daring him to take the plunge and go looking for bugs as well.

You noticed how after the incident, Matt just didn't seem that interested in bugs anymore.

No. He was terrified of them.

"C'mon, Matty. I wanna see a Praying Mantis," you pleaded. You knew he had a weak spot for a pretty face, as you guessed, so he gave an exasperated sigh before saying, "Ugh. Fine."

You smiled. He bent down to look through the bushes with you.

You blushed as his hand brushed against yours, but he pulled back. With wide eyes, he got up and backed away. "I'm sorry, Effy... The bugs... I can't. I'm sorry."

He left in a hurry, rushing down the little trail in the woods that took you to that spot where finding bugs was best.

"Matt," you called out after him. He didn't listen. He left you alone in the woods to walk home alone in the dark, since the sun has set thirty minutes ago.

*~*~*

The next day, you went to the secret spot in the woods that you and Matt shared.

You went alone. You didn't know where Matt was, so you went by yourself. Your own personal goal for right now was to see a Praying Mantis.

You got there, and you were shocked at what you saw. You couldn't help but smile when you saw Matt. He was standing in the middle of the clear patch, holding a box.

"Why, hello, Effy," he says jokingly. You raise an eyebrow. "And what seems to be going on here, Matty?"

He held out the little box. With a soft smile, he said, "Here. I, uh, got it for you... I feel bad about ditching you yesterday. I'm sorry."

You did a polite half-smile. You carefully took the box and slowly lifted the lid. It was a necklace.

The necklace was a simple silver chain with a piece of glass on the end of it. There was a bug inside of the glass, which was shaped like a large teardrop. There was a dead Black Widow incased in it.

You looked up to see him smiling at you. You held his stare and asked, "Matt... will you help me put it on?"

He stuttered a bit. "Oh, yeah, sure. T-totally."

You passed him the necklace and turned around to lift your shoulder-length, curly, blonde hair, so he could put it around your neck.

His hands felt soft as they brushed past your neck, as he attached the necklace clip. It sent tingles down your spine. You heard a nervous laugh behind you. "Oh, god. It won't attach together. I'm sorry."

You stood there awkwardly as he fiddled with the necklace. Not that you'd admit it, but you liked the feel of his warm breath on the back of your neck.

"Oh, I got it now," he said as he released the chain. It felt cold on your neck. You smiled as you said, "Thank you, Matty." You gave him a friendly side hug. You looked down at it. "It's beautiful."

"Just like you."

"Excuse me?"

"What?" he asked in return, trying to mask the fact that he had called you beautiful. A sheepish grin flooded your face. "Did you just---"

"No."

"Yeah, you did," you said, scooting closer to him. His face was as red as a tomato. You leaned in to give him a quick kiss on his blood-rushed cheek. But he had turned to ask what you were doing, resulting in your lips landing on his lips.

You pulled back after a minute, a big smile playing your lips. He looks down at his feet, smiling like crazy.

"Well, that was fun," you said happily. He replied, "It was."

"Wanna do it again?"

"Yes. Very much."