Chapter 2

I dissolved in with the wolves quicker than I thought. We all were almost the same. I survived on blood and their survival was upon their wolves—their other half. And while they had a scent, we didn't.

Upon arrival, I took a long glance at the town. It was beautiful, much more than I thought. Being inside the town bought me a sense of safety and security. I breathed out cold air and slowly walked through the bustling streets of Thornwood. I forced myself to focus on the tasks that needed to be done than peering at the throbbing veins of every wolf passing by.

My canines bruised my mouth and my throat turned parched when in the middle of a hundred wolves. The only thing that went through my head was their blood going down my throat and satisfying my hunger.

Focus, Candice.

I narrowed my head and balled my fists inside my pockets to ignore all the blood around me. I threw my hair over my face and quickly passed through the crowds before reaching my car that had been parked near a cafe as I had asked the woman to do so. The female wolf left the window open and the keys inside.

I jumped in and began driving without a destination. I was inside the town and safe from all the danger lurking outside. All I needed to do now was to hide my true identity and not raise any concerns.

As I drove, I remembered my sister—Natalie, sitting in the same car beside me and laughing. We were happy and we were full of life until one horrible night.

It started three years ago. A dark creature appeared out of nowhere and began wiping us away—wolves and vampires—both. It never stopped. It came from the west and swallowed every immortal being on its way. Anyone that touched its darkness immediately died, whether be it a wolf or a vampire.

No one was safe.

The creature only attacked us during the night but it lurked around everywhere. When it first started, we ignored the threat and continued with our lives till it reached us. Everyone that I knew once died when the creature stopped at our old town for its next feast.

It left no one, not a single soul.

Just in a single night, everyone I knew was gone. My grandmother, my friends, my teachers, our forefathers—everyone.

My parents and I were on a trip with Natalie and a few other vampires from the clan when it happened. When we returned to our town, everyone was decomposed and dead. No one survived the wrath of the unnamed, dark creature except for those that were on the trip with us.

For months, we stayed in our empty house together and mourned the losses of those that had died. On the other hand, the creature was still out, taking every soul it could find. Another clan near us was attacked a few weeks after. Everyone there was killed as well.

Soon, the news spread, and the humans were the only ones that were safe from the dark creature as it only desired an immortal being. Almost every pack and clan we knew was destroyed. The deaths were in thousands and increasing every day.

I decided to escape the country when I got the chance too. My parents were against my departure but Nat was supportive. She wanted me to explore and we schemed out a great plan to find safety for all those that had survived with us and many more. No one from the clan agreed but I left anyway.

Getting in Thornwood was just the beginning.

We couldn't live like death was down our throat every day—I couldn't.

Immortality was a gift, I simply couldn't throw it away out of fear.

The dark creature was still lingering around, taking as many lives as it could, bringing an end to all of us but the only place it couldn't reach was where there was light.

And the sun never set in Thornwood. The soil I was standing over was the only safe place in this whole entire world. Everyone tried to flee here but they couldn't enter under the Mayor's orders.

When those immortal beings were turned away from the borders, they only had a few hours to leave before the night fell upon them and the dark creature swallowed them up.

I managed to survive for days near the borders and I was finally in, alive and doing all well.

After driving around the town, I learned a few specifics and found a hotel to stay in for the time being. The car I took along with me carried all my luggage and the blood I had stored for the entire trip.

But an unfortunate prick decided to steal from me a few weeks ago. He only took the blood I had and left everything behind and that made me realize that they were more vampires around than I knew.

I wasn't the only one.

The hotel I wanted to spend the night in was fairly empty. The wolves at the front of the reception began getting curious when they saw someone checking into a hotel even when all the borders of the town were closed and no flights were coming in. My presence raised some suspicion among the staff but it was soon cleared out.

"Uh, my parents kicked me out once more. I can't deal with them. They are just so whiny and when I tell them that, they kick me out. Who does that to their own child?" I started while rubbing my forehead and acting as if it was more than just sore.

"How long do you think you'd be staying for, ma'am?" The lady asked while pressing her fingers on the keyboard in front of her.

"Just a few days. My boyfriend is supposed to pick me but we are in a little bit of a fight. I think he's turning into my parents too." I shrugged while rolling my eyes at the same time. "Fingers crossed. Hope he comes around and decides to love me soon."

The lady's face turned pale with my words as if she had heard them for the first time. She slowly pressed on a few keys and then said, "I'll go ahead and book a room for you for three days. You can extend your stay whenever you feel like."

"That would be great." I tapped on my own phone, sending random messages to my sister to seem busy in front of the staff.

After a few minutes, the receptionist gave me the keycard and the directions to where my room was. I kicked on my luggage and grabbed it along with me before entering the elevator alone. The bellboy offered to take my bags but I brushed him off before he dipped his head into my stuff and found a ton of dirty and muddy clothes.

I wanted to stay.

Alive.

When I reached my room, I threw aside everything and spent the next few minutes sunbathing and lying on the clean ground while checking my phone. Nat left me a few messages and I replied to her back, finally telling her I was in the town and completely safe.

After replying, I tucked aside my phone and gaze at the beautiful, bright sky. Breaths of relief left my hungry throat. My lids fluttered shut and then back open when my stomach grumbled for blood.

A wolf's blood.

I was born into the Crimson clan and since we were little babies, we were only taught to feed on another immortal being to keep ourselves healthier than other vampires that attacked innocent humans. As I grew up, I only craved for a wolf's blood and nothing else. Although, I preferred a pack wolf's blood to a rogue as it was much more satisfying. Anyone that was in higher power tasted more delicious than anything else.

After I was done soaking in the sun's warmth, I jolted up and decided to find myself a little wolf to feed on.

Fresh wolf blood and I was the happiest girl in this world.

Read up to chapter 8 on patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr

Thank you for reading!