Chapter 20

I wanted to leave.

For several reasons, one of them including Nat's and my parent's rescue and another one of them being that I was done being teased and tormented for blood. It didn't affect me at first but now, I was dying and hated being controlled. The twins clearly wanted me to die without getting my blood in their hands. They had tried almost everything possible—starvation, threats, throwing me off to the dark creature so it could end me. They lacked the slightest bit of guilt.

I was done.

As I was freed and thrown back into the same room, I hurried to grab the burner phone and a few more items. It had started to get dark outside, I could see the midnight sun peeking through the mountains, calling upon me. The creature was nowhere near sight. It must've left the forest by now and wandered off to another town where it could feed itself a couple more wolves and vampires.

I pushed my head out of the balcony inside the room and took a long glance at my surroundings, taking in every little detail and learning the whereabouts to where the estate was and where the forest met with the town. The borders were clearly far away. It was going to be a long, tiring walk and over that, I had no plan to where to crash next but I certainly knew I was going to fulfill my thirst by feeding onto anybody walking in my path—whether it be one of their wolves or anyone else.

My body rattled with uncontrollable fury and my temperature hit the roof for reasons I wasn't aware of. Maybe it was just the lack of blood or the lack of respect but I was losing myself and I needed to escape.

"Hey, Natalie. I'm sure you're somewhere in the ocean or in a plane but as soon as you get this, call me back. I'm leaving Thornwood and I don't want you to come anywhere near here. Please call Mom and Dad and ask them to call their rescue team off before anyone gets injured because of me. I'll meet you somewhere in the middle and we can return home." I quickly explained. "I'm sorry for all the trouble." My eyes narrowed, my breaths came out slow as a frown of disappointment appeared on my face.

Realization struck me hard and when it did, I felt disgusted that allowed someone to disrespect me and almost kill me. The twins were terrible people and I finally could see why. They didn't show any mercy and they were arrogant two men that had just been granted everything.

I slipped the phone inside my pockets, taking it along with me as it was the only means of communication I had with my sister. Slipping out of the room, I looked around and entered another room. A powerful energy radiated off the room I entered, it kept pulling me further inside till I reached the dressing table. The room was dark, red in color and clearly belonging to one of the twins.

Knox?

I could only imagine.

I moved my fingers across the table and froze upon touching a wooden box that had been neatly placed just beside the mirror. I crouched down and whispered, "Oh, what is in here?" My brow lifted as I opened up the box to reveal a few precious pieces of jewelry. They sparkled and my eyes twinkled.

A smile spread across my face as I ran my finger through one of the diamonds. It was real.

"I guess I should keep some of it since I got nothing out of this journey." My eyes rolled as I stuffed my pants with as many diamonds as I could. A couple more pieces of gold chains and stones went into my pants before I stopped and left the room without making any sound. No one noticed or caught me in the act of stealing.

It wasn't my first time stealing anyway and since the brothers didn't treat me well, they had it coming for all the horrible things they had done to me.

I burst out of the estate quickly and fled. Being a vampire came with a lot of perks, one of them including the unimaginable speed that helped us in running whenever we wanted too. It was also one of the reasons why vampires weren't attacked in a huge amount as wolves were by the dark creature.

It could get to us but it would take time.

I didn't hesitate in running away from the estate or the brothers. They still had no idea and they weren't going to until one of them came in to check up on me and one of them probably was Cain who was much more affectionate than Knox. I brushed off their thoughts away from my head and focused on the new journey I was forced to take.

Thornwood got darker and darker with every second passing by. I walked across the empty, uncrowded streets that I once saw bustling with wolves. Since it wasn't the weekend, everyone was at their homes, sleeping or enjoying the TV while I was outside, dying out of hunger.

The need grew stronger and my ears perked at every unusual sound.

My chin lifted everytime a car passed by on the road, however, due to its speed, I couldn't attack the driver without getting him or her injured. My throat went taut and dry like a desert. I continued with my search for a wolf to feed on and as much as it was difficult, I finally found one.

It was a young woman. She stepped out of a car, waved at the man in the inside before walking across the street alone. The car flashed by and then, it was just her and me. I sat by the corner, near a closed cafe, and pulled my knees to my chest. The diamonds and the gems in my pockets slammed against each other with every move I made. The woman came closer and my posture stiffened. I let loose a few whimpers and tears and the woman stopped, just as I wanted her to.

"Oh. What's wrong, honey?" She asked, kneeling. "Are you lost?"

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr