Chapter 49

Chapter 49

Candice's POV

We love you.

I was swept by the three little words, brainwashed and lured. I hadn't thought much about love throughout my life. For most of the time, I expected to be loved by my parents and my sister only. I believed there was no such thing as love among two—three—people. So, hearing Knox uttering those words in my ears like a small whisper made my body tremble and churn in delight.

"What?" I slowly turned around to meet with his gaze where there was only truth and honesty. "You love me?" I questioned as my brows furrowed in confusion whether I had heard it right or my mind was playing tricks on me.

"Yes." He gave his head a little nod before clasping his hands around my shoulders and pulling me closer to where I could take in his scent and lose the last strip of sanity I had left. "I love you, Candice. I thought it wasn't possible, I thought I could never love someone or even care about anyone but I do. I care about you more than anyone or anything in this world. There is a gloom in my heart when I see tears into your eyes and there is a little blast of happiness every time I see a smile on your face." He whispered and then smiled at me. "It's something I can't control, I don't want to."

"But there is nothing special in me." My heart thudded and I reminded curious as to why someone such as Knox would ever love me. There were a thousand other girls, smarter, prettier and most of all, from his kind. I was a vampire and they hated me for being one.

"There is not one thing that's not special about you," His eyes skimmed across my face, over my lips and cheeks before settling on mine. He raised his hand momentarily and brushed the back of his finger on my cheek. "I won't say you're different but there is something about you that I won't ever find in anyone else. Your heart is the purest of all and you don't even know that."

My body heated up with his compliments. It had been a while since I last heard a man complimenting me—never. I swallowed the bile of curiosity down my throat and accepted him into my arms. He was sincere, his honesty appeared in his eyes when he spoke to me.

I pushed my nose underneath his jaw and snuggled while closing my eyes. "Thank you." I whispered, wrapping my arms tighter around his large torso.

"If it weren't for my brother marking you, my teeth would be bared and deep into your throat." He clenched me harder while his once sweet, warm voice turned into a hiss. A growl followed and fingers dug into my flesh.

The question remained as to why he had allowed Cain to mark me. Why? There was absolutely not a single reason that I needed to be marked by any of them. I could be theirs without a mark. But I understood their werewolf instinct to claim me as theirs the moment they felt an emotion for me.

"Does he—does he love me as well?" I pulled myself away from Knox's embrace and became eager to know the answer.

He was quite for a minute before he responded, "Yes."

"Won't it make things difficult?" I inquired further. There had to be some sort of jealousy involved in this. It was impossible for werewolves—or vampires to share their love with anyone else.

"What's mine is his and what's his is mine. We chose you, together and we will want you, together." He replied without a single hint of jealousy in his voice or eyes. "But he may love differently and I may do it differently."

I leaned heavily at the revelation.

They loved me.

Did I?

"Turn around." Knox said while holding my shoulders and slowly moving me away from him.

I turned my back on him and met with my reflection staring back at me. The girl in the mirror was confused about how she had fallen into the hands of twins that had now claimed to love her. The girl in the mirror doubting her entire life and her beliefs.

Knox dipped his hand into his pocket and shuffled his fingers before pulling out a chain. The gem that I had stolen earlier shimmered as he hung it near me. My eyes widened a little. It was the same gem, now perfectly sealed and turned into a necklace.

My skin tickled underneath his fingers. He unclamped the necklace and I quickly pulled my wet hair, holding it while he placed the necklace over my chest and clasped it tightly. The gem hung over the valley of my breasts and something swirled inside it every time I stole a glance at the beauty.

"This yours to keep—even after it's all over." He squeezed my shoulders. "As I live and breathe, I chose you as my mate and my love." He continued with the never-ending sweet words that made my stomach clench every time I heard them.

Knox wasn't like this. They both weren't.

They had changed.

Reformed.

"Thank you and it's beautiful." I held the gem in my hand and brushed my thumb across it. It was a precious family treasure that he had gifted to me. I was going to keep it safe forever.

"Not more than you are."

Leaning in, Knox grabbed my face and placed a kiss over my forehead. I closed my eyes and sighed as his fingers tangled in my hair. He pulled away for a second and set his mouth over my cheek that had turned into a tomato.

A small giggle burst out of me and I said, "I should change and put on some clothes." When I looked down, I found my hand holding the towel tight over my chest. It had been a few minutes now.

Knox nodded, "Take your time. Cain and I will be preparing for the dark creature. We will have to lure him near the forest before tonight. If it's not possible, then you'll have another day to rest."

The dark creature. For a moment, I had forgotten about him entirely until Knox mentioned him. I wasn't particularly happy with the entire ordeal but it had to be done. And if the sword could end the dark creature's existence then I could have all the time in the world to pursue the twins and live the life I had wanted to live.

Before Knox could leave the room, I asked, "How are you going to attract the dark creature into the forest? The last I heard, he was killing werewolves and vampires on another part of the world."

His shoulders tightened and he stood taut near the door of my room. When his eyes met with mine, I found horror in them. "Prisoners. We are going to set prisoners free. A large number of werewolves running in the forest will attract the dark creature and pull him here. Just at the perfect time, you'll be released into the forest. The gem will take its powers from him, hopefully, in one try we will be able to restore the sword."

My heart beat fast from the fear of the unknown. I was putting myself in danger, again and yet somehow, the fear was enthralling. "What if something happens to me?" I questioned.

Grinning, he shook his head, "Nothing will happen to you. You have my word."

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr