Chapter 44

Chapter 44

Cain's POV

"Fun without me? It must've been boring." Knox screamed as he moved in circles around the empty large hallway near his bedroom. His eyes were a dull shade of brown, still filled with sleep even though he had slept for quite a long time.

"Maybe next time." Candice whispered in her soft tone before she pressed her body against his. "I missed you."

He placed his hand over her hair and tucked a piece of it behind her ear. "Go take a shower and get something to eat."

"You?" Her eyes, filled with innocence, looked straight up at my brother.

"Not me, Candy. There are going to be rules set. You'll be fed once a day." He said, not falling into her mischievous trap and offering his neck to her right away.

At least one of us were smart.

"What am I? A dog?" She pouted and crossed her arms over her chest.

"No but you're still a prisoner in our castle so go take a shower. I've matters to discuss with my brother so if you could leave us alone for a bit, it would be great." Knox explained to her in clear terms. I found a wave of panic in his eyes when he shifted his attention to me for a second. Only then I realized he had been awake while I was running Candice's errand through the morning.

Something was bothering Knox.

I quickly pulled out my phone and checked up on the pack updates just to ensure nothing had happened while I was indulging into Candice. No attacks. No deaths. No threats. Not yet. The dark creature was last spotted a thousand miles away from the town. It was attacking another town, taking souls and destroying our world just a little more.

"Mhm, okay. I'll be bored in the shower so if someone needs to come, they are invited." I heard Candice whisper before she strolled away from the hallway and into the room.

As soon as she was gone, Knox grunted and turned to me. While his jaw was clenched tight, he said, "We have a problem." He cocked his head to the stairs and then gestured toward the basement where important matters were usually taken to.

The basement of my Father's estate promised privacy and security that we couldn't get it anywhere else in this world. The walls were soundproof, and guards were placed on every inch of the basement. Yet,Candice was able to slip in that one certain day but there wasn't much she could hear, only bits and pieces and as we all knew, she barely had time to think about anything.

I exhaled hard and followed my brother who dared not to utter a single word until we stepped inside the basement. The estate was usually empty unless we had balls or parties. We avoided bringing many guests into the house ever since the dark creature was revealed upon us. There was a great weapon in our possession that we were required to keep safe, even from our own selves.

Knox led me toward the room where the object was kept. He unlocked the several locks and pulled down the chains before entering. The room was narrow but long, it stretched for almost a mile. The walls were made from thick, sturdy stones and there was no way to enter the room without a key.

Even without any light, the tip of the weapon shone over the rock.

"You're confusing me, Brother. What is it?" I questioned as the door behind me closed. It had been a while since I had entered this room.

Knox dug his hand deep into his pocket and pulled out the gem in our possession. He placed the glowing gem into the weapon and the rock underneath it cracked it a little more, however, not completely.

"The gem is full of power ever since it had been retrieved from our little thief." Knox smiled and twisted his head to me while having his hand wrapped around the weapon. It was the only weapon that could bring an end to the dark creature for once and for all.

"That's not possible." I stepped closer and examined the gem. Flickers of light appeared in the gem before turning into bolts and spreading throughout. I contained my gasp. It was surreal and nearly unbelievable. "How? There is only enough power this little one can take from a full moon." I whispered.

To restore the weapon, we were required to restore the gem and the gem could only take power from a full moon or a nature's event—an eclipse—which hadn't happened. It had taken us years to restore half of the gem's power but suddenly, the gem was full of it.

"Exactly."

I lowered my eyes to the cracks over the rock where most of the weapon was buried inside. The last time the weapon was used was a hundred years ago and then it was trapped in a rock till it came in our knowledge two years ago. Old scripts had mentioned the weapon and the exact way to destroy the dark creature and we did everything to follow the writings of our forefathers that had done the same hundreds of years ago.

"It's not possible." I shook my head and moved aside from the weapon.

"Candice did mention she had encountered with the dark creature himself on the night she ran away from here. Could that be it? The gem was under her possession. It could've salvaged from dark creature himself." Knox tried to explain, and it made a little sense.

I stretched the back of my head in confusion. It had been the first time the gem had left our town. It weakened the dark creature and forbade him from entering our town at the same time.

"It could be."

"We require her to encounter the dark creature a few more times and since she had already met him, I doubt she will be as scared as she was." Knox suggested with a wicked smirk spread over his illuminated features. "Just a few times. No harm will come to her, and the weapon can be finally in use. We can end this for once and for all. What do you say?" He continued, trying to warm me up to his plan.

"I've to consider it."

They are wicked and sweet at the same time. 😭

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr