Chapter 23

My eyes went over the twins twice, studying them closely before I understood something. They weren't here to save me, they were here to kill me. A weight was suddenly pressed against my heaving chest. I shot then another wide-eyed glance and my lips parted. A lump of terror formed in my throat, taking away my breaths. Why would they kill me? There was no reason. I only fled the town due to my own reasons—and slurped on their wolf's blood. It still wasn't a reason to kill me.

"I'm not going to die." I kicked my legs in the air, knocking the stranger sitting over them. He fell back on the ground, and I simply pushed myself forward to stand up and run. However, to my luck, Cain grabbed my hair harder, forming an ache in my head. "I wanted to leave." I whined without spilling much about my sister's and my parent's rescue team arrival.

"Then why don't you leave now?" Cain questioned, his warm breath tickling down my neck. "Why did you come back? Oh, I think I can guess that."

"No," I trembled. "It's not safe outside. I don't want to leave anymore." It was as if I had just seen a 70's horror movie for the first time and the scenes were flashing through my head over and over again.

"That's a pity because you're going to either end up right outside, where the dark creature can have you or else, you are going to be trapped here, for the rest of your miserable life. It's a decision you have to make." He seized my throat and spoke without my interruption that ticked him off. "And you better make it quick."

I didn't know how to fight—I mean—I had learned how to fight vampires and to injure them severely, but I barely held any knowledge about werewolves and what their weak points were. Someone, the twins knew my weak points and used them.

"I'll stay, I'll stay." I said, twice, without any hesitation.

I needed to be safe for now. I had the death's hand down my throat once and I didn't want that to repeat again. It wouldn't be hard to convince the twins to let me go after a while, maybe a couple days. But what about Natalie? She was going to come if she learned I hadn't left the town.

I was dragged up on my feet moments later. A killing silence fell all around us. The only sounds were the knocking of my boots and the thrusting my body as Cain pulled me along with him while keeping my hands restrained.

Knox stepped forward and blocked the clear path into the town. I winced and stepped back only to feel Cain's chest pressed against my back. Trapped between the twins, my breathing became shallow, and my chest ached.

"Where are my diamonds?" Knox questioned, furrowing his brows together. Wrinkles of anger tightened in his forehead as he awaited for my response.

"I—I don't know."

"You little thief," He grabbed my face into his hands. "Tell me or I'll kill you right here, without a fucking thought." He threatened while digging his fingers into my cheeks and forming unnecessary bruises.

"They are in my pocket." I replied, with honesty.

What was the use anymore? I couldn't leave nor face the dark creature once more. As Knox' hands went through my body and into my jeans, I shuffled and looked up at the sky. The outline of the sun was found peeking from the mountains and clouds. A sudden confusion gripped me, forcing me to question what had happened in the forest.

The dark creature could reach anyone and kill them, but it didn't kill me when I was staring into his eyes and he was piercing into my soul. He certainly looked prepared to bring an end to me and there was nothing stopping him from killing me at the spot but yet he didn't. Something was wrong and I couldn't understand what it was.

Knox pushed his hands deeper into my pockets, grabbing as much of diamonds and gems I stole from him earlier. He looked up for a moment, meeting with my gaze and I rolled my eyes away.

"Don't worry, we will handle that attitude." He pulled out his fistful of diamonds and quickly looked at them. His eyes gave out a rare sparkle when he picked up a specific gem and tucked it in his pocket before throwing the rest of the pieces onto the ground.

My jaw dropped, "I could've kept it."

"Shut up. You've made enough mess for a night and your punishment waits for you." He turned around, and my eyes caught the outline of his bulging muscles through his shirt.

"Punishment?" My brow quirked. "Wasn't one enough?" I yelled, raising my voice.

"Clearly it wasn't," Cain spoke behind me before giving me another push over the dirt and taking me towards the road where I was soon going to be shoved inside one of the cars and taken back to the estate before being cruelly murdered or hung for all the wrongs I have committed.

Maybe I was over-thinking.

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr