Chapter 63

Chapter 63

My sex was still drenched when Cain bathed me in the tub for the second time today. He ran his hands all over my body and teased me to the brink while my wetness dripped down from my legs.

I held onto his shoulders and climbed out of the bathtub after the bath was over. A towel covered my wet body before I stepped back inside the room.

It was ten in the morning. Several hours had passed by since last night and since I spoke with Knox and Natalie. I tried to be unbothered but there wasn't a single minute that went by without thinking about their words.

My head throbbed with immense pain. Stress covered me from the top to the bottom. I couldn't think about anything else than Grandpa and the dark creature.

I knew too much.

There were things Cain and Knox were never aware of and the longer I hid the truth from them, the worse it was getting and I was unable to imagine what they would do to me if they found out the truth—the truth that I knew.

"What's wrong?" Cain asked, tucking my wet hair behind and cleaning my face. "You haven't slept properly nor you have eaten anything."

I shook my head and lowered my eyes to my lap, "Nothing."

"You had an early morning encounter with Knox, didn't you?" He grew curious. His voice had softened after he had given me the punishment and taught me a lesson.

"It isn't enough," I twisted my fingers across each other and roughly shuffled over the seat. "He wants me go again, to see him. The weapon isn't going to work until I do it again." I said with low, panting breaths before raising my head and looking at Cain who sat over the dresser. "I don't want to go out there again. I don't want to repeat the night."

"You don't have to, Candice." He seemed a lot more thoughtful than his own brother.

I shook my head as little tears burned my eyes, "I really don't want to. It's terrifying and it's making me go crazy."

Warm, comfortable hands came over my shoulders. Cain leaned inward, looking straight into my tears and he said, "You don't have to. We can't force you to."

"Knox wants me to go." I stated in horror. His face flashed my mind and I remembered the terror on his face when I denied him. I suppose he never took no for an answer, therefore the sudden reaction.

I wondered where he was.

Still out running in the woods?

"I'll talk to him."

"But how else can the weapon be used?"

"There are other ways, Candice. It may take time but it will be of use soon enough. We just need to be patient." Cain explained to me while he rubbed my shoulders and comforted me down.

Patience.

None of which I had.

My parents were out to get me along with my Grandpa who had accidentally returned after years of being gone.

There was something odd happening and my head couldn't figure it out what it was.

"He's out for a run. I saw him shift earlier." I said after a moment of silence.

"It's fine. He will return and I'll have a talk with him. Until then, you should get some sleep and try not to have your mouth in someone else's business." Cain took my face in his hand and said.

A smile curled on my lips, "I'll try."

"I won't be so forgiving next time." He leaned in and kissed my cheek. "I'll be out as well. A few pack matters to take care of. If there is anything you need, call me."

I nodded at him and in a matter of minutes, he changed and left for his work. I laid on the bed, obeying his orders, and tried to sleep. Unfortunately, I couldn't close my eyes without seeing the dark creature's face.

Gideon.

It was their brother all along and it made sense as to why Thornwood was the only protected town in this entire world. Gideon was born here, a town where the sun never rested. He was thrown out by his cruel parents and left to rot elsewhere. When he grew up, he became informed of his powers and turned into the monster everyone would fear one day.

And we all did.

He was seeking revenge from those that had hurt him. He wanted a new world, a world without animals and creatures like us. One by one, he bought all of them down and his last target was Thornwood.

The town where his own Brother's lived, his hometown, the town where his family and his parents once lived.

He wanted to end everyone here and he was waiting for the right moment.

The weapon was placed under the manor, in the same basement where his parents wandered around once. They were aware of these events taking place therefore they created something that would bring an end to their son if he went out of hands.

But where did I come in all of this?

Cain marked me to keep me alive. Knox loved me for different reasons. And Gideon, I was the only one that could see him.

Distress covered my face. I stood up from the bed and stared at my reflection for a long minute while trying to figure out where I came in all of this.

I was never supposed to be here, on this bed or in this manor. I was never supposed to be marked by Cain or be in love with Knox. It was one mistake that led to another.

But why?

Soul ties were something we all heard about but even then, my soul could be only tied to one of them—not all of them unless my soul was entirely tied to the family.

I stood up from the bed and walked out of the room. Lines deepened in my face as I walked around the house and ensured Cain wasn't around.

It seemed like he had left.

I slipped across the hallways and walked down the stairs that led to the basement that had been unlocked by Knox earlier. He was furious when he left so I assumed he didn't bother unlocking the rooms as they were all left open when I arrived inside the basement.

The cold gripped from all sides when I entered the room where the weapon was kept and secured. The gem was in the pommel of the sword, yet to be removed and restored.

I wrapped my quivering hand around the hilt and held onto it with a little strength while admiring the rest of its body.

A thought crossed my mind. My heart thumped faster and my fingers tightened at the hilt of the sword. I pulled the sword a little to my side.

Nothing happened.

I pulled it again, this time with a little force and the rock underneath the blade cracked and the sword came right into my hand.

A loud, shuddering gasp left my mouth. I swallowed the surprised scream back in and took a step away from the rock while still holding the sword in my hand.

Shit.

I didn't know what to think. My breath stopped in my lungs and I gasped for air. The weapon, the sword, was free from the rock and it was in my hand with the gem still in its pommel.

My palms turned damp with sweat. I raised my other hand and held the sword with both of my hands. The weight of it bought me down as it was heavier than I thought.

A minute passed in utter silence before a laugh cracked out of me. As much as I was startled, I couldn't believe what I had done.

Knox's words made sense. He wasn't wrong when he told me that my parents wanted me back for reasons they were hiding. He believed in the fact that I was the weapon against the dark creature.

All along I was and I couldn't see it.

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr