Chapter 64

Chapter 64

"I don't care, Knox. Not everything around here goes as you wish. Stop being a spoiled, rotten kid. If someone doesn't want to do something, you can't force them." Cain snapped at him, as if he was the big brother. His voice echoed through the hallway where I stood, near to the door of his office.

The door was closed but the voices were loud enough to be heard by anyone passing by.

I reached for the handle and then stopped, wondering if this was right. On my other hand, I held the sword that at least weighed a few pounds. Carrying it from the basement to the second floor of manor bought a strain on my arm.

When I neared the office, I heard both, Knox and Cain, arguing, battling at each other, one defending and the other one trying to force me to go out and face the dark creature again.

"What is the big deal if she does it again? Clearly, that bastard doesn't intend on harming her." Knox snapped back at his brother. "It isn't going to be long before the sun sets here and once it does, we are all better off dead."

"None of that is going to happen—"

I knocked on the door before the argument continued. As much as I enjoyed hearing the twins fight each other for me, I didn't want to waste time hiding the truth from them.

Steps stroked toward the door before Cain pulled it open. The redness over his face dissolved along with all the anger flaring inside him.

"Is everything okay?" He asked me, sweetly.

Past his shoulders, I found Knox, groaning, and grunting while his gaze was hovering over the bookshelf inside the office.

"I got it," I said, passing the sword onto Cain before walking inside the office. "It took me a while to understand but I cracked the code. The sword's ready to be used so you both can stop lashing out your anger over each other."

Cain's eyes widened as he held the sword and admired its design. For months, they had been trying to unveil it but failed every time. All along, I just had to pull it from the rock it was locked into.

"H—how?" Knox asked.

I shrugged, "I don't know exactly but my grandfather comes from a royal family. We have lived on for centuries. There could be a chance that the last time this exact curse was bestowed on our species, my ancestors were here, and they might have a hand in sealing the sword." My eyes clicked to Knox, I remembered his words from earlier. "The gem wasn't the key to the weapon, I was."

"Well, that makes a lot more sense," Knox replied, still alarmed.

It was hard circling it without knowing the exact history. But again, my parents hid my illness for years, they could be hiding more, and I could never learn about it with all their lies.

"It does," I took a sharp breath and pressed my hand over the desk. The words were there in my mouth, but I was terrified to spill them, in fear of what would happen to me. "There is more..." I trailed off, keeping the twins on the edge.

Cain placed the sword over the desk and asked, "What more?"

My spine stiffened, "He showed his real face to me." I said and my heart raced.

"Who is he?" Knox stepped forward, curious just as his brother was.

"At first, I was unsure but after I went through your mother's diaries, I became sure. He was the firstborn of your parents, your elder brother." My eyes clicked to Cain and then over to Knox. Neither of them understood. "Your mother described him as a monster since birth, someone feeding off to energy just as we feed off to blood. Your parents abandoned him, they threw him away, far from here before you two were born."

"That's impossible." Knox let out a sarcastic laugh. "If I had a brother, I surely would've known."

I sighed, "Your mother passed away soon after she delivered you and maybe your father didn't have enough time, to tell the truth."

His lips lined straight, and his eyes changed colors. He tore his gaze from me and turned to Cain. They both gave a similar stare to each other, one that was terrifying and that would make you tremble from within.

"I'm not bluffing," I whispered. "I saw his face, there was resemblance and then the diary—it proved everything. He's here for revenge. He wants to kill both of you, and he won't stop until he has done that." Partial glimpses of Gideon's face crossed in my mind. He was still there, buried deep in my head with the powers he possessed.

I didn't feel any anger toward him even with everything he had done to this world, to us, to my family, to my town. He unleashed terror upon all of us. He scared us, he trapped us, and he murdered our friends and families.

Even after all that, I didn't hate him.

And I hated myself for that.

Flames appeared in the twins' eyes. They were silent for a long minute. They believed in every word I said. I waited for something, a word, a phrase but they didn't say anything.

"I'm sorry. I know I should've told earlier but for the longest, I thought I was going crazy and imaging things until I came across your mother's diary." I said as my lips turned cold.

"It's not your fault." Knox stepped forward and wrapped his arm around me. He slipped his fingers into my hair and grasped onto me tightly. I could barely breathe in his rough embrace. "I'm sorry for snapping out on you."

"It's okay." I rubbed his arms.

As the hug broke, I leaned back over the desk. An amused grin spread across my lips. I cracked the code. I was proud of myself, but I wasn't going to celebrate until this all was over.

"We have the sword now and for all it takes, I'm willing to face him one last time and kill him," I stated, folding my arms across my chest, and smiling at them both.

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr