Chapter 57

Chapter 57

I had a favorite among the twins. It had always been there since day one, since I saw both of them outside that club, waiting to kidnap and question me.

I felt the same love for both of them. My soul had a pull toward Cain as he had marked me and bonded his soul with mine but my heart continued to pull toward Knox.

He was my favorite.

Since day one.

I laid between them, under the sheets, still covered in their liquids and my own. My skin was sticky and hot but I wasn't bothered.

The balcony was slid open. The curtains in front were separated and they swirled around along with the wind that followed its way inside the room. It was a heavy breeze of the night, a fresh breath of air and peace.

Cain slept toward my left, his body under the sheet and his head resting over my shoulder. I curled my finger around his hair and played with it as he lowly snored.

When I turned to my right, I found Knox, acting asleep. His eyes were pressed close while his hands were swarming all over my body.

I took a deep breath and bend my neck over to him. "Doesn't it scare you that one day the sun won't keep this town protected?" I questioned, out of blue.

It was the dark creature's words that had ripped away my sanity. I couldn't be the same after seeing what I had seen in the forest.

"It does." Knox slowly whispered. "But there isn't much that we can do then. We are expecting for it to get dark here soon."

"How soon?" My lips moved, my voice barely came out.

"A few months." He gave me a slight shrug before tightening his arm around my waist. "Don't worry. I have promised to keep you protected. I'll find a way to make sure you live a long life, Candice." His lips pressed against my neck.

I took another breath and grew concerned.

I had seen something, I had collided with someone they needed to know about. Keeping it hidden from them was swallowing me up in whole.

But how could I tell them?

How?

I still couldn't come to terms that the dark creature was their brother.

Fingers swarmed over my face, tucking strands and caressing my forehead. The numbing headache passed through. I felt a lot better than I was before.

Knox narrowed his eyes to me in the dark. "What happened? What did you see?"

I hesitated and then shook my head, "Nothing. I–I think it was the voices of those people dying that have slightly shaken me but there is nothing else."

A lot of people were sacrificed to lure in the dark creature and their screams were still ringing in my ears.

Tonight was an absolute nightmare.

I just wanted to wake up.

"It had to be done," Knox whispered. He wasn't smiling nor was he happy about it. There was a gloom spread over his face.

It wasn't just me.

Something was keeping him awake too.

It had been more than an hour since our little party had ended. Cain fell asleep almost immediately but Knox, he had been awake and silent along with me.

"What do you think will happen now?" I questioned, curious to see what he had been thinking.

A bundle of horror appeared in his eyes and he replied, "Either something good or something bad. There is a chance we have pissed off the dark creature and if we have done that, then we don't have much time." He turned his glare from the blank wall and onto me. "This town will be in ruins then."