Chapter 68

Chapter 68

The forest was dark, cold, and foggy. The sound of the harsh wind swirling and gushing around terrified me to the core. The sky above was unclear, the moon was barely seen. There was a different terror within the dark forest, one I had previously gone through when I was sheltering myself here. Memories rushed into my head.

It had truly been a long time.

I could hear the steps of the wolves stomping over the wet grounds and gathering around me, protecting me in a way.

Once, I was here, all by myself, lost and had no sense of where I was going to end. I was courageous then and now.

A thunderous cloud above me rose, splitting the sky and worrying the living out of me. I wrapped my arms around my shoulders and kept on moving. The cold sword inside my pants brushed against my skin. I trembled a little.

"What are you doing here again?" A voice rang in the darkness, echoing through the entire forest. The sound of the wolves stepping stopped, they stood still while the dark creature bought himself to me. "You should've left when you had the chance too." He continued.

I turned left and right, seeking him. My heart thudded in my chest, almost breaking my ribs. Sweat and pain gripped me from all sides.

The dark forest wasn't entirely eerie. The sounds of the party and the music could be heard from a distance. I could even smell the blood of all the wolves at the borders.

"Show me yourself," I asked, my voice trembling while my fingers grasped my coat tighter.

"I've already done that once." He responded, still hiding in the dark.

"I've questions, doubts, uncertainties. I need answers. I need to know the truth." I said, raising my voice and toughening up my tone. While there was a reason to be here—to kill him—I had my own agenda as well and it was to know the truth.

The twins weren't informed. They weren't aware of why I was mated to both of them. It wasn't the fact that I was mated to them, it was the fact that a vampire was mated to werewolves.

Something I had never heard.

"What truth do you seek for, Candice?" He asked.

I sensed him circling around me, the smoke of his darkness blending in with the fog. He was near me, nearer than I had thought but since it was dark, I barely could see anything.

"Show me yourself and I'll tell you."

In a split second, he revealed himself to me, his smoke took shape and his figure changed. My heart dropped as my eyes connected to his dark, red eyes. They frightened me more than anything.

I took a step back from him while blowing out a breath into the cold air. "I know who you are."

"Well, that's—"

I cut him off before he could finish, "Gideon."

His features changed, he clenched his jaw and his eyes widened a bit in surprise. "How do you know?" The rough tone smothered as he spoke out of curiosity.

"I know who you are. You're their brother and you were abandoned when you were young. You seek revenge. You want to bring an end to them. You hold powers no other creature do and you don't know how to control them." I spat out facts, facts I knew about and I was sure about. Days of learning, I understood everything but there was still a tiny little doubt in my head and I couldn't scratch that off.

"You have done your research. Good job!" He exclaimed, his twisted lips curling into a wicked smile—the worst I had ever seen.

As much as I wanted to hate him, a part of me couldn't and it disgusted me.

A chill ran through me and I took a larger step back while letting my arms fall straight into the pockets of the coat.

"It's true, right?"

"Yes. Indeed," He nodded his head. "You're quite smart." His smile turned wider and wider. The mischief stood behind his every word and emotion.

Clearing my throat, I asked, "Why can't you kill me?"

"I can't." He shrugged.

"Why?"

"You know why."

Curls fell over my face from the wind swirling around me. Hesitantly, I slipped my right hand inside the coat and pressed my palm against the sword. This was the greatest opportunity I had and I wasn't going to lose it.

"Why am I mated to you and the twins altogether? I'm a vampire." I said, confusingly. The question remained in my head since the moment Cain had marked me.

"Ask your grandfather, he will have better answers for you," The dark creature circled around me while slowly sniffing my shoulders. He took in my scent and then sighed in relief while I stood stiff over the ground. Every limb in my body was frozen when I was near him. My blood had run cold. I was frightened. "I've done my fair share of research as well, Candice."

"What do you mean?" I asked, turning my head a little. "What does my grandfather has to do with any of this?" I barely heard about Grandpa except for recently when he arrived in my hometown after missing for decades. As much as it was odd, I didn't get time to think about it.

"You're gifted—just like me. Though, you're barely informed of your powers while I know everything about mine." He stopped pacing around me and rolled his fist in front of me. A giant ball of dark, deadly energy sparkled and formed above his fist.

"Why am I mated to you?" I asked, changing the topic and going back to the same question I was looking for an answer for.

"It's simple," He neared me and before I knew, his cold bony fingers were against my cheeks, brushing down my skin and causing me to tremble from within. "My cruel mother needed something that could keep me in control so she connected your soul to mine, a strong-blood vampire to a dark, unknown creature, and at the same time, she must've accidentally bestowed the same curse on her silly, selfish twins that came by after me," Gideon explained, word by word, slowly and carefully.

I was a curse—to Gideon not to Cain and Knox.

They loved me and so did I.

"You're the only one that can stop me," His finger disappeared into my hair. I quickly turned my head away from him and dipped my hand into my pants, reaching for the sword. Leaning in, his lips touched my ears and he whispered, "I know you're here to stop me, to bring an end to me. Do you think I can't get in your head? Think again. I'm your mate, Candice and I know exactly what you're going to do."

My body quivered. Stars flashed in my vision before tears brimmed in my eyes.

"I'm willing to die—for as long as I take those two brats with me." He grabbed onto my throat and forced me to look at him.

A scream slipped out of my mouth and echoed through the dark forest.

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr