Chapter 60

Chapter 60

I didn't have enough time. The mind control was going to wear off soon and Cain was surely going to be informed. Knox would return from his run as well and they both would seek for me.

I felt a burden at my chest with everything that had been going on. There was a face I had seen and I wasn't sure if it was the dark creature's real face.

He was a shifter for sure, maybe gifted but no one could study him as he never came as close to someone as he came to me.

As soon as the servant left, I closed the door from the inside and searched across the bedroom, hoping to find something that could help me.

Inside the drawers, I found keys, random things, and old books. None which would help me.

I drew the curtains open and let the light inside the room. The bright ray of sunshine nearly blinded me but it helped me to look at things better.

When I turned away from the window, something sparkled and my eyes clicked there.

Just right underneath the bed, I found a large diamond sparkling and reflecting the sunlight. My lips separated and I got down on my knees to grab it.

Particles of dust flew everywhere, some catching my nose and throat. I closed my eyes and let out a small sneeze.

"Shit." I sniffed before getting underneath the bed and reaching for the diamond while knowing my entire face was going to turn red in minutes.

The diamond was fixated on a wooden box that couldn't be seen in the dark, only in daylight. I grabbed the box and pulled it out before getting on the bed itself.

The twins were going to kill me.

Literally.

I opened the box carefully and went through the little things inside. The box belonged to the woman named Martha and I assumed it was the twin's late mother who had died while giving them birth.

She had kept a small ancient journal inside the box along with a few jewelries and love letters from her husband.

I grabbed the journal and kept the rest of the box aside. Upon opening the journal, her name came to me again.

Studying a few pages, I learned she was journaling her pregnancy and the birth of her children. Most of her writings were beautiful, sharing the funny stories of her pregnancy and what she felt throughout the months she was pregnant.

A smile rested on my face the entire time I read the journal but it disappeared soon.

The pregnancy wasn't about the twins.

I couldn't look at him when he was born, neither could his father. He's a monster. He's not one of us. I don't know what to do with him.

My finger brushed across the little faded circle that seemed like a tear that had dropped onto the page.

He still has no name. We don't want to give him one. He has been in the nursery for ten days. I can't find the energy to go in there or even feed him. He's a mistake. I don't want him. No one in this world wants him.

My eyes widened as I realized something. I quickly flipped the pages to a later date, finding more of her writings.

This one is hurting but it feels warm. There isn't just one. They are two of them, two beautiful boys that I would be taking care of for the rest of my life. It's a torture to carry them in my womb but I know they will be different, different than the first one I had. I can feel it. They are going to be strong, powerful and they'll do right by everyone.

I slipped a finger between both dates. My eyes tore from the journal and I looked up at the mirror in front of me.

She was pregnant twice, once with Knox and Cain and once with another child that was still unknown.

Was it the dark creature?

I flipped the pages back, reading more from her first pregnancy and her first child. She mostly wrote about her sorrows and described her first child as a monster. She mentioned him as someone she hated the most and she wished death upon him.

As I read more, I realized who she had been talking about.

The first one.

The first brother.

The dark creature.

She mentioned the same powers—the ability to kill and take souls, the ability to shape shift, the demonic eyes and the corrupted spirit that was going to bring evil into this world.

She stopped journaling about her first son a year after giving birth to him. Her last words were cruel and full of sadness.

He's gone, thrown out from here, from this town. I feel sorrow, I feel as if something has been ripped out of my heart but I don't want to do anything about it. I hated him and he's gone now. His father took care of him, throwing him far away from here. Even with everything, I couldn't have him killed—he was my firstborn. He will hold a special place in my heart.

My monster.

My Gideon.

I slammed the book shut as the phone inside my pocket began ringing loudly. My heart skipped a beat and I got up on my feet while throwing the book on the bed.

"There is something I have to tell you, Candice." It was Natalie, my sister.

I closed my eyes and tried to snap out of what I had just read. The journal had sucked me in and I was still recovering from Martha's writings that spilled everything, the truth, the lies—everything.

"What is it? What happened?" I asked as I bought the phone closer to my ears.

Her voice was filled with panic. "Grandpa is here. You need to be careful, really careful. I don't know what's happening here but everyone here wants you back, immediately and they aren't going to stop until you have returned." She quickly said without taking a single breath. Her words fell upon one and another.

"What?!" My brows collected. "What do you mean?"

"I can't talk much but just be careful, Candice, be careful!" She exclaimed.

I opened my mouth to say something but the call ended. I dialed Natalie's number again and it went straight to voicemail. Another try and her phone was switched off.

My hands began trembling and my chest rose and drop. I looked down at the journal and then at my phone.

We were all going to be doomed.

"Candice!" Cain yelled from afar as his loud heavy steps approached me. "The blood bags were not enough that you had to feed off that poor woman? You are so fucking dead." He growled before opening the door.

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr