Chapter 54

Chapter 54

The driveway to the estate was clear. I was craddled up in Cain's arms when the driver parked the car near the entrance and stopped. I released a breath of relief and looked outside. Even when it was the middle of the night, the light was still in the sky and it glowered over the entire estate.

"You're okay?" Cain questioned, pulling me closer to himself.

We hadn't spoken after he had thanked me. I couldn't find any words to create a conversation nor did I had the energy to speak to him. I avoided looking at him in fear of seeing the dark creature reflecting in his eyes. Their faces resembled—a lot and I was afraid of going deeper into my curiosity.

The more I was going to wonder the worst it was going to get.

I kept the dark creature's thoughts at bay and it helped not hearing him torture my head over and over again. I knew for sure he had gotten inside, too deep and didn't intend on leaving anytime soon.

Why me? Why was it just me that could face him without dying? Why only me? Did this all happen for a reason? Was I here for a reason?

Inhaling Cain's wolf scent one last time, I found the energy to lift myself off him and get out of the car. Minutes had passed by since we had stopped at the estate. Another car neared us from behind. I quickly assumed Knox was in there, driving. The light fell upon the dash and I saw his face filled with gloom.

My heart quickly dropped.

Why?

He stepped out of the car, gave me a quick smile and then whispered something in Cain's ear. Even with my heightened hearing, I could understand what he had told to his brother. They both gave a nod at each other before approaching me.

They rained their affection, dropping their arms and kissing me gently in turns. My stomach clenched tight with love and my lips twisted into a smile of relief. The haunting moment was over and I had been gifted with their love in return.

"I'm okay," A small giggle escaped my mouth as Knox hugged me tight from behind. He kept his hand wrapped around my throat, forbading me to make a single sound until he was done showering me with his love. Fingers moved, tickling my stomach and I quickly backed up. "I'm okay. Really!" I shouted, laughing and crying at the same time.

"I just needed to make sure." He stopped and looked into my eyes.

I stared back, "I am. Thank you."

Silence fell between us for a brief moment. I narrowed my gaze to his lips, waiting to hear those words again. He wanted to say them but couldn't find the courage to say it in front of his brother who stood nearby and watched us both.

"Let's go inside." He said, throwing an arm over my shoulder. "We have a lot to celebrate for!"

"Indeed."

They looked relieved and so did I. The worst part of this all was over. I wrapped my palm around the gem and squeezed it gently while silently hoping it was over. In a span of few days, the gem would be returned to the weapon and then the weapon would be used upon the dark creature, ending him forever and we wouldn't need to think about him ever again.

It would then become a memory.

Entering the house, I yawned while the twins removed their coats. One of them came over to me, Cain and he removed mine as well.

"You need to get cleaned up." He said after studying my clothes.

My shirt and pants were smeared with someone's blood. The dark creature had injured a man and that man came to me for help. I felt my heart at throat when he grabbed my feet and begged me to help him but I couldn't and it was horrible.

It was all a nightmare.

The man's blood was splattered all across my pants and some droplets over my shirt and my arms. I tried to wipe it away using my hand but it didn't budge as it had been some time and the blood had dried out.

"It's okay. Go change and shower." Knox said, holding my hands from behind and stopping me from tearing my own skin. "Water will clean you up." He leaned in and placed a kiss on my cheek gently.

"Okay." I blew out a hot breath as unwanted moisture built between my legs.

How could I even think about it when I had someone's blood on my body?

Knox's fingers spread over the back of my neck, he reached for the locket he had placed a few hours earlier and unclasped it.

"It will be yours to keep after this all is over. I promise." He said, leaning in and closing his mouth over my shoulders while removing the locket from my neck.

I clenched my thighs together. This was getting out of my hand.

"I'll be waiting."

I took a deep breath and concentrated on the blood smeared across my clothes that needed to be washed away immediately. The longer it stayed, the worst I felt about it all.

I parted my way from the twins and returned to my bedroom. The house was quiet tonight—it was always.

There was a throbbing ache in my head that seemed like it wasn't going to go away anytime soon. It was persistent and it made me groan in pain.

As I reached my dresser, I took off my shirt and proceeded with taking off my pants. My eyes clung to my reflection and I slipped off.

'How does it feel being the reason behind the mass murdering tonight? Just because of you, for your own selfish reasons, I had to take so many souls. All because of what? So you could please them? Love is subjective. It cannot be bought nor sold. They'll still feel the same no matter what you do for them.'

The tormenting voice emerged into my head again, this time eating a part of me.

What did he want?

I closed my eyes again, hoping it would let me escape from his voice but instead his face came into my sight. His hideous features taking shape.

The dark creature didn't know. He had no knowledge about the gem or why I was sent to him by the twins. He didn't know the gem was going to be used against him, to kill him.

'You can still leave, Candice. You don't need to be here. Leave and I promise to not bring any harm to you. If you stay, I can't promise that you'll live.'

The dark creature mentioned earlier, in the forest, that he was going to attack the town soon. The day was unknown but I assumed it was going to be when the sun was going to set down.

"Get out of my head!" I screamed, grabbing my hair and pressing my palm against my throbbing head. "I don't want to listen to you or even see you ever again. Get out of my head." Another loud stream of screams passed through me unwillingly.

'I thought you were tough.' He laughed.

"Leave me alone." I cried, falling on the ground.

"Candice!" Knox burst through the door and his voice rang in my ears. I opened my eyes and found him running toward me.

"Knox," I held my arms out and wept. "I can't do this."

He took my arms and pulled me into his embrace. "What happened?"

"I can't do this." I said, gritting my teeth and shaking my head repeatedly. "I don't want to do this."

"It's over, Candice. It's over." He kissed the back of my head and held me tighter.

"No, no, it's not over. It has just started. He's going to come, he's going to take all of us and he's going to kill all of us, Knox. You don't know what he's capable of." I explained, my voice breaking a little. "You don't know who he is." I gazed into his eyes, seeing the resemblance again.

"Who is he?" Knox questioned, concern spread all over his tight features.

"He's—I don't know."

Read the full book on Patreon: www.patreon.com/miakerr