Chapter 69

Chapter 69

In a flash of a minute, I was terrified for my own life. My heart was at my throat, thudding hard. Words barely made out of me. Screams of anguish were a non-stop melody that rang through the forest. Squirming, fighting, I tried to get away from Gideon but his hands were stronger than I had thought.

He grasped on my throat, suffocating me till my vision blurred. I tried to fight him off by throwing a few punches but none of them reached him.

The wolves that were once gathered around me began fleeing, returning to the borders. I could hear their steps fading with every second flashing by.

"Don't worry. I don't intend on killing you." He whispered, his warm breath against my cheek.

As he lifted his hand away from my throat, I fell to the ground with a thud. Wet dirt smeared my clothes. I gasped for breath while rubbing my bruised throat. Breathing hard, I regained consciousness and looked up at him changing his face.

"Go ahead. Call for them." He said.

I squeezed my eyes shut, avoiding myself to see his vicious face turning into a monster and wishing this all would be over.

The sharp blade of the sword scraped against my skin, forming a small cut that burned.

"No," I shook my head and replied in a shuddering breath. "I'm not going to call for them."

I understood Gideon. He wanted to harm me so I could call the twins and they would come for my rescue without knowing that he wanted to harm them instead of me.

"Then you'll be in a lot of pain." His voice changed, returning to the rough, crispy tone of his monster. He hovered over me like a thick cloud. The smell of ash and fire reached my nose and I turned my head away once again.

"Do whatever you want. They are not going to come here."

"Of course they will," Bony fingers brushed down my cheek. I quivered in fright and pressed my eyes close tighter. "When they know their little mate is in danger, they will come for your rescue. But the unfortunate part is, I don't want to hurt you, Candice." For a moment there was emotion in his voice—just for a moment. "I can't help myself. Maybe it's because you're my mate. Don't force me to hurt you. Call them here and we will be over with this in no time."

I jumped back from him and whimpered. Opening my eyes, I looked straight into his monstrous face and held back the screams that were nearly escaping my throat.

A tear fell from my eye and slid down to my cheek. Gideon had a moment of weakness and I took that to my advantage by pulling the sword out of my pants. In the process, I cut myself again but the pain was nothing compared to the dread I felt.

Before I could use the sword on him, he grabbed my wrist and pushed me down on the ground. The sword was slammed down along with me and the blade was just a few inches from slicing my own head into two.

Gideon grabbed my other hand and held my both wrists to the ground, restraining me from any movement. I tried to kick him but his creature was made out of nothing except for fire, ashes, and smoke. The creature within him didn't hold a figure or a body. It had a face but that was all—a terrifying face that had troubled my days and nights.

Shock washed over him when he set his crimson eyes on the sword. "How—how do you have this?" He asked, breathing heavily. Fear appeared on his face quickly.

He didn't even know.

Which meant he wasn't entirely in my head.

"Oh, this?" I raised a brow. "Just your family heirloom to kill a merciless, vile creature. Guess your mother didn't just make one weakness for you." I smiled at him.

A deafening screech rang in my ears, splitting them in half. I squeezed my eyes shut again as the dark creature made his own sound of anger. He released my hand and tried to reach for the sword but I didn't let him.

The sword was the only hope I had—we had.

I couldn't give it to him.

I wrapped my fingers tightly around the pommel, gripping the sword with as much strength as I could. He reached for it, nearly pulling it out of my hands but instead got a cut.

Another screech echoed in the wood. Dark liquid fell from him and onto my neck. He screamed in pain for a long minute before returning his eyes to me.

"Give it to me." He said, bruising my wrist.

"No." I pushed him away with all my strength. "Never."

"Fine," He stood up from the ground and looked down at me. "I suppose the sword can be only used by you to kill me. Well, it seems like I have to kill you now. Two birds with one stone?" He laughed, hysterically before changing figures once more.

Before I had the chance to scream, a group of wolves attacked the dark creature. A pair of hands wrapped around my shoulders, dragging me from the ground and picking me up.

"Knox," I breathed out in relief but the relief only lasted for a minute. "No, no, you can't be here. He's going to kill you."

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr