Chapter 12

I paced around the empty room for most of the night. It had a clock along with the date by the side on the table. And I wasn't wrong about the days I had been held in here. It was exactly four days since I last contacted my sister and the last I was seen near the club or in public.

Four goddamn days.

I turned my eyes away from the clock and glanced at the room. My hands settled on my hips, staying tight as I studied. A thick red blanket covered half of the bed and the color reminded of blood.

While my stomach was satisfied, something inside me wasn't and I wasn't sure what it exactly was. There was a clenching, a tightness growing between my legs and in my lower belly and even after filling myself up, I still wasn't filled.

Releasing a heavy, frustrated breath, I dragged open the curtains and looked outside, finding the beautiful backyard of the estate. It was green, bright and full of life.

Ting.

Ting.

I slowly moved my head upon hearing the ring of a certain device. The rings continued for several seconds. I swooped across the place and laid my hands over a small burner phone hidden behind one of the shelves.

When am I going to see you again? It has been so many days. I'll be free on the weekend so meet me outside the estate. I'm ought to pick up something for the Alpha but I'll have enough time to see you.

— Your favorite gardener.

My eyes rolled at the back of my head as I read the messages from someone who was working at the estate. It surely had to be the gardener. The plants were full of life for a reason and he was doing more than just digging the greens.

A smile spread across my lips. I couldn't care less of who was sending the message and who was supposed to read it. Secret affairs were common all around here. I was only interested in the phone in my hands.

I rang up my sister immediately and even after so many days of not speaking to her, she decided to cut the random call that appeared on her phone. A grunt spilled out of me and I dialed her number again. And she cut me off again. However, this certain time she left a message on the burner phone.

Who is this?

My fingers whipped through the letters on the keypad before I decided to send a selfie instead. Nat despised speaking with strangers and she always knew if someone was deceiving or playing with her. Who could help it? She had six online boyfriends and they were all frauds, from dying old vampires to humans that were into the roleplaying of vampires she did—except, it was real on her side.

She ditched online dating soon after and decided to bond with me instead.

The phone vibrated in my hands and I picked up her call after she realized it was me. "What the fuck, Candice? It has been four days and you couldn't call me once?" Her voice rattled along with her anger. "Once? I was worried sick about you. Thank God I didn't tell Mom and Dad or they would have driven a stake into my heart."

Tears of happiness burned my cheeks and I smiled, "I missed you."

"Really?"

"Really. I missed you a lot."

"What's happening?" she lowered her voice in tension. "Where are you?" I heard every beat of her heart, it rang through the phone and into my ears.

I took a breath, long and heavy before I opened my mouth to spill the truth. "I was caught by the rulers of the town. Thornwood is being run by Alpha's—not one but two. I think they really want me to fuck out of their land but I don't want to leave, Nat. There is so much peace and safety here."

There was a long silence on the other end before it broke loose. "Where are you now?"

"I'm at their estate. They tried to kill me—a couple times but failed to do so." I swallowed hard, remembering the vulnerable moments.

"You have to leave!" Nat shouted.

"I can't. The creature is nearby and it will kill me if I step outside. It's completely unsafe right now. I don't have any other option than to stay—"

"With Alpha's?"

"Yes."

I bent over the dresser and glanced myself at the mirror. It showed a perfect reflection of a stupid, young vampire who thought she could do everything in this world all by herself. It was going fine till now. I drove through states and crossed oceans by myself. I entered into this town without anyone's help and I managed to stay alive so far.

I was doing good.

"Aren't they going to kill you?" Nat asked, her words trembling worse than mine.

I chewed on my dry lips and shifted over the dresser. "They might...." I trailed off. "But they might not as well. Obviously, I'm not going to die, Nat." I rolled my eyes and grunted. It wasn't hard to save myself from two, furious twins. "I can manage things myself but I have lost a bit of direction."

"If you're safe and in the estate then I can tell you a secret."

My ears perked, "What is it?"

"I can't talk about it right away since Mom is nearby and she's probably hearing everything but there were rumors a while back that a specific weapon is hidden within the estate of the ruler of Thornwood. It was something that kept the creature away from entering their land even when the sparkle of light disappeared." Nat explained, slowly. She twisted her words a few times to avoid attention from our parents but I understood her.

"Do you want me to go steal it?" I questioned as my face brightened with excitement.

"Of course not!"

I held my excitement back. "All right. Then what can I do?"

"Nothing. In the meantime, I'll speak to Mom and Dad and let them know about your journey and where you've ended up. They are going to be pleased or very, very disappointed." She said in a whisper. "Either way, I'm coming too."

"What?" I collected my brows together. "No. Why?"

"Because I can't let you be in danger, little sister and I know how things work within these packs. They'll starve you and kill you. I don't want to be blamed for your death either so I'm coming after I speak with Mom and Dad." She delivered a harsh promise before ending the call.

Ugh.

I deleted my traces from the phone before pushing it back into its spot. After I was done, I led myself back to the bed and went to sleep for as many hours as I was going to be stuck here.

Read up to chapter 60 on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr