Chapter 26

Candice's POV

My soul itched every time I looked at the door. Cain left it slightly open, only to bother me. It was a different room, a darker one with unusual toys and things hanging all around. During the night, I heard a few steps and every time I heard them, I turned around, hoping it would be someone who'd help me and pull me out of here. A part of me wanted to be surrounded by my family and another part of me never wanted to leave the town or face the dark creature ever again.

Its horrendous face appeared everywhere I looked. The glowing red eyes filled with blood and death of a thousand innocent souls, the skinless face without a single nerve, the hooded head—it was a man and it sure sounded like one.

My wrinkles continued to deepen as I thought about the dark creature. Once the horror inside me was gone, I began getting curious and questions began appearing in my head. Who was he? Who created him? Who did he submit to? Why was he doing this?

The world was in peace before he stepped between us and began taking down vampires and werewolves. He left no one, not even the innocent of all, yet somehow, he couldn't get to me earlier. I wasn't fast, not faster than him yet he didn't kill me.

Something stopped him from reaching to me.

What was it?

The night passed on. A little bright light shone behind the black-out curtains. I had no sense of time or day. There wasn't a watch in the room and my legs were chained to the bed that stopped me from running out.

My fingers shuffled underneath my sore ass. I pushed my hands into my pocket and reached for the burner phone that wasn't taken away from me. I thought it was. A twisted smile smeared across my face as I pulled out of the untouched phone and bought it to my face.

"Yes, yes." I gritted my teeth together and switched on the phone. Right before the light blinded me, I hid the phone over my chest and turned to the door out of fear of being caught. Why couldn't be the door locked?

I swallowed my fear, knowing no one was going pass through my door this early in the morning. The twins must've been sleeping by now after having a tiring day with me and the servants must've been sleeping as well.

Just as the phone switched on, Nat's number flashed on the screen, and I picked up her call immediately. It wasn't the first one she had made since I lost contact with her.

"Where are you, Candice? Are you okay? If you're out of the town, I can come to get you right now since I'm nearby." She rambled while breathing heavily.

"I'm fine. I left but something happened and I'm back in the town, held hostage." I replied with shame in my voice. Maybe I was over-reacting a little bit. The cuffs didn't mean I was kidnapped. I came back here with my own will, or the twins could've never found me. "I mean—not hostage but I'm at the manor and I don't think I can leave anytime soon."

It was broad daylight and the perfect time to leave the town and return to my hometown without getting murdered by the dark creature. Unfortunately, the cuffs and the twins determined my day and night. I doubted they were going to let me go after I stole from them. There had to be a price to pay before I could leave.

"I'm nearby."

That was enough to make my heart thud hard. "What? Why? I told you to go back home. I would've come back." I raised two fingers and pressed them against my throbbing forehead that had been in pain since last night.

"The rescue team was called back by Dad, but he wants me to come home with you, no matter what it takes. Our parents are getting furious, Candice." She said, her voice shaking. "I managed through the night. It was difficult as the creature is nearby, but I lived through it and now, I'm coming to get you."

"Nat, no!" I exclaimed, staring at my ankles. "I can't leave."

"Why not?"

"Because—" I grunted. "I just can't."

"Then I'm coming to Thornwood. Don't worry about me, I'll make it in and find you wherever you are." For a second, she sounded courageous and all-powerful but then her reality swept over me, and I grew concerned.

"Okay. Just hold on for a few hours. Let me speak with the Alpha's and till then, just book a motel for yourself and have something to drink. I promise I'll see you soon." I quickly said in a low voice while frustration bubbled over me. My own life was at stake and now, my sister's life was going to be at stake beside mine.

"Few hours?"

"Few hours."

As soon as I closed the call, I began panicking and assuming the worse of all. Natalie was my sister, and I couldn't let anyone harm her. She came here to rescue me but instead got stuck herself. I had enough hours in my hand to convince the Alpha's to let her in Thornwood and give her protection. But that was if they were going to listen to a single word spurting out of my mouth.

We both could stay here together until we could find a way to leave safely. Our parents wouldn't be as worried as they were now and, in the meantime, I could go on with the payment of stealing from the Alpha's and harming their people. Once they'd return my freedom, I could leave with my sister and go home finally.

It was a perfectly structured plan that just needed to be followed.

The birds began chirping on the balcony outside just when my eyes started closing. I drifted into a calm sleep, hoping it would take some of my worries away and I'd wake up fresh and prepared. All my dreams came crashing down when I was forced awake, only an hour later, by Knox who made his duty to ruin my life.

"What is wrong with you?" I growled, grabbing the sheets away from his fist and throwing them over my shoulder. The sleep barely felt like a minute.

"Get up. You've been sleeping for too long." He snatched the cover away from my body.

I thrust up and rubbed my eyes. "Yeah, too long," I whispered, running my hand through my tangled hair. I blinked and turned to Knox. He seemed like he had been awake for a while now. Boredom was all over his beautiful face. "What do you want?" I rose my brow at him.

"You." He leaned in.

"I thought you don't like vampires," I smirked and he came closer.

The fresh face took a pale turn at my response. "You're right. I don't." He moved his head between my leg and took a large inhale of my scent. I closed my eyes, expecting for things to take a small turn. His warm breath lingered over my skin and his lips moved an inch closer. "You stink. You need a shower." He snapped.

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr