Chapter 21

Knox's POV

"That little fucker." I growled as I stormed back into the estate after getting the update I needed from the guards outside. My hands rolled and clenched into fists as anger crawled over every inch of my skin.

The estate was guarded by more than a hundred wolves and none—not a single one—could spot a prisoner running away from my grounds. What were they even doing here? After snapping at every one of them, I headed to my brother who awaited for a response on our run away prisoner that couldn't be found anywhere.

The last we saw of Candy was several hours ago and after that, we presumed she'd be in her bed like a good girl, taking a nap and creating schemes to how she could feed on someone else after being denied. It was what our naïve minds expected. But she tricked us and left long ago. I wasn't sure of the hour she escaped but I could tell it had been a while.

I held Cain's gaze for long until he understood the fact she was gone.

"Someone should've seen her leave." He groaned, turning around and walking into the estate along with me.

The golden lights falling from the crystal ball on the ceiling off the room brightened up my mood. I clenched my hands around my phone and with every message I wrote to my wolves, I grew furious. Nerves trembled within me.

I inclined my head back and replied, "No one has. I'm telling a few wolves to keep an eye on a vampire running around the town but there is a chance she has already left."

"No, no..." Cain shook his head while his finger rose in the air. "She won't leave until she's fed and since it's the middle of the night, she's going to lurk around and feed on as many wolves as she can before leaving. We still have time to get her—"

I continued, "And kill her." It was the only option we had left after the little stunt she decided to pull. We couldn't risk having a vampire in this town and we had already broken many rules because of her. She bought herself to her doom and no one could argue with that.

"We can't kill her, Knox." He planted a hand over my shoulder and reminded me. "She's already dying. If we kill her, the royals are going to be chasing us down and we don't want that. Either of it." He explained, his feature carefully stiffened with an expression no one could read. His eyes were wide open, keeping a check on the surroundings as we slipped into a quiet room, away from the servants and the guards of the estate.

"She's dying. We can just end her and free her from her misery." My lips curled into a taunting grin as my sick mind ran in circles, wondering of all the ways I could kill her. There were so many. I had a hard time choosing one.

"We don't want her blood upon us. Let the creature take her. She left at her own will. We shouldn't be blamed for her death and we both know she isn't going to survive for long alone." Cain said, spitting facts with his every breath. He sat down on the plush couch and spread his arms while taking in a deep breath of relief.

Candice was off our shoulders.

When the initial research was done upon her, we learned several things. She was a descended of the royal family making her royal and she was a pure blood vampire. She came from the Crimson clan and a cloaked town full of vampires that fed on wolves. Unfortunately, she had a defect since birth—a weak heart that was going to lead to her death soon.

The information was hard to find. No one was willing to spill anything but with a little bit of monetary help, we were able to find everything about the vampire that stepped into our town.

The fact she came alone surprised us as most of her was dying already.

Which parents in the right mind would allow their sick daughter to leave all alone in middle of a crisis?