Chapter 36

Natalie was asleep when I tore through the hotel apartment and entered. She brewed a cup of coffee for herself and me after freshening up. Holding the cup in her hands, she walked near to the window and pulled the curtains a little to her direction. Her eyes glowed with warmth and surprise.

"The sun never goes down." She whispered.

"It really doesn't," I blew my breath over the coffee and spoke. "It does gets dark here sometimes, but the light is always there, protecting the town from the dark creature. On certain nights, the sky is streaked with these beautiful, breathtaking colors. It's almost unimaginable." I was as shook as her when I came to Thornwood for the first time.

"It is." She shook her head and let out a breath before letting the curtains fall over the natural sunlight entering from the windows. Taking a twirl, her attention was planted on me, "How long has it been since you have had blood?" She questioned, her gaze upon the dark circles growing underneath my eyes.

Something I couldn't explain.

"I went on a binge just a few days ago but after that, I haven't had anything to drink. It's a risk to drain a wolf here. The twins will kill me if I do it again. They aren't very forgiving." I replied, slowly, taking my time to form the words. I couldn't exactly share my feelings with my sister, but I was thankful at least I was sharing something.

"You can't stay here forever." Despite the tension in the air, she smiled at me.

I sighed and titled my head, "I know, and I agree. But what if we all can?"

"How?"

"Would it be that hard to convince the Alpha's to allow just a few vampires into the town? We—Mom, Dad, and you—would all be safe from the creature. We could create a pact and live here with the wolves." I explained, finally letting my thoughts free. Once the words came out of my room, I found myself in a delusion. This certainly could never happen.

"Our parents would never agree to living with wolves and neither would any of these wolves. It's never going to be possible!" She exclaimed before releasing a heavy huff of breath and crouching beside me. "I understand you, Candice. The peace here is something you can never get anywhere else. Thornwood is safe, it promises life, it promises peace but it's not our hometown. We are merely visitors."

"I don't want to leave." I blurted out.

I raised my hand in the air and ran my fingers through my locks. Nat's jaw met by the floor after she heard me. She came here after her own will, hoping to change my mind and take me back home but there was nothing to go to back home except for my parents. The peace I had been looking for was here, in Thornwood and I didn't want to leave.

"How would you survive?"

"There are always other wolves roaming near the borders along with rogues. Survival isn't difficult." I responded while my pushing my shoulders back. It was a haste decision, but I wasn't going to regret it.

I loved being here.

"Do you think the Alpha's would let you stay?"

My heartbeat hard in my chest. "They want me to." I said in a thin voice.

They did.

Right?

Cain had marked me for a reason. Whether I was their prisoner or their prey, they wanted me to stay, be around them, get used by them and I began having a liking for all of it.

"What if they don't? What if they throw you out? What if they hurt you, Candice? Wolves aren't trustworthy and for you to have one of their marks over my body means you have written your own name on your death certificate. You have no idea the trouble you are getting yourself into."

My ears strained at her words. "I want to have some real trouble in life, Natalie. I'm tired of being under my parent's shadows and I don't want to do that again." Reaching out, I placed my hand over hers and pressed hard. "You supported me once. Please, support me again."

Before Nat could respond me, her phone began buzzing. My eyes quickly clicked at the caller's ID which mentioned Dad. It had been weeks since I last spoke to either of my parents, simply because they wanted me to return, and I didn't. Sweat formed underneath my neck when my sister attended the call. I stayed silent as the night and listened to his voice.

The hair over my skin rose as I heard the tension leaving off the phone. Dad's voice was always warm, soothing to the ears but this time, he sounded worried-sick—about me.

"He wants to talk to you." Nat said as moved the phone away from her cheek.

I nodded and pushed my hand out to take the phone from her hand. "Hi, dad." I managed to say before placing the phone against my ear.

"Oh, Candice. Your Mom and I have missed you a lot. How are doing? How's your health? Is everything well with you?" He asked, anxiously.

"I'm doing good," I looked off at Nat who had her attention on me and the call. "How's Mom and how are you?"

"We miss you."

I calmed myself down by drawing in a breath. It had been more than just a few months since I left them and went on the journey to find Thornwood—the only town where the dark creature didn't enter. The journey wasn't just about finding the town, it was also about finding peace and gaining the freedom I never had.

Growing up sheltered, I desired seeing the world but was unable to do that until I turned eighteen and when I did, the world was in ruins.

"I miss you too." I replied.

"Why don't you come home? Natalie has been telling me everything. I know you want to be alone, but many months have passed by. We all are worried about you."

There was always something unusual that was shared among me and my parents. They cared a little too much about me, more than Nat and that led her to get jealous a few times, but she got over the love they had for me eventually. After hearing the sweet words through the phone, I watched Nat getting hitched and uncomfortable.

"There is nothing to worry about, Dad. I'm doing great here. I'm well, alive and I have never felt as good as I feel now. I want you and Mom to stop worrying about me. Nothing will happen." I promised.

"Candice..." He trailed off and stayed silent for a few seconds. My brows furrowed and a strange fear gripped my body. "You need to come home."

"Why?" My throat tightened.

"You have a weak heart."

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr