Chapter 66

Chapter 66

It was a party. A full-blown party hosted by the Alphas. They claimed it as the year-end party even when the new year was still a whole month away but that was the only thing they could come up within a small time span.

The security at the north border of the town was increased. They were more than a thousand wolves securing the ground.

After Cain agreed to Knox, the preparations took place. A large bonfire, a few tents, booze, and music were enough to get the party started. The word began spreading and people began arriving at the border.

I stayed at the top of the tower, overlooking the town with a few wolves to my side. As the crowd began getting bigger, I began getting worried. This was going to turn ugly if the dark creature wasn't ended tonight.

The fire set by the lake turned bigger and bigger with every minute passing by. It lightened up the forest just enough to see anything unusual happening in there.

I turned my head away from the party and the music and looked at the forest. Deep inside, someone was running for their lives, and someone was looking for protection.

I folded my arms across my chest and sighed. What was happening here? The music was loud enough to turn anyone deaf nearby. People were getting drunk without knowing what was coming. No one in this town cared because they were all protected.

"Do you see anything?" I asked one of the wolves that stood near the railing and surveyed the dark forest for the creature with a pair of binoculars. He had been looking for the past twenty minutes.

"Nothing yet, ma'am." He answered, taking the binoculars down from his sight.

"Keep looking. I'm going to head downstairs and find your Alpha's." I said with a grunt before stomping down the stairs. They hadn't returned, it had been more than an hour and the last thing I wanted to think about was that they were partying with everyone else.

The more floors I went down, the music got louder. On any other day, I would have partied like a manic but not today. I needed to be sober, I needed to be in my senses, and I needed to have control over my head. Even one drink would make me weak enough for Gideon to enter and read my mind.

When I reached down from the tower, I went past the guards and kept walking till I reached the crowded bonfire.

The air smelled of alcohol, wolves, and a whole lot of blood.

"Got bored from being on the top?" Knox asked, standing behind me.

I jumped at his sudden appearance and turned around, "You scared me." I said, placing my hand over my thudding heart that was way more fragile than I had thought.

He had a grin plastered on his face and his voice was more than just playful. "Come on. It's fun here." He took my hand and pulled me deeper into the crowd I tried to avoid.

"It's just loud!" I screamed after I was unable to hear my own voice.

"It's fun." He took me near to the fire and then stopped. His hands landed over my hips and mine around his neck. "Have some fun for a bit. It's going to get depressing once big brother is here anyway."

I shook my head and smiled, "Where is Cain?"

"Keeping an eye out."

"And you are?" I raised a brow at him.

"Keeping an eye out for the people here. We don't want anyone stepping out of the borders, even for a second. It's dangerous that we held a party here, but it was our last resort." He explained, becoming a bit more serious.

It wasn't entirely a bad idea. Once Gideon would sniff out the party and a thousand wolves partying, he surely would pay a visit—in hopes to kill as many as he could.

"I know."

"Have a little fun. My men will signal us when the dark creature is nearby." He suggested, pushing his hips to mine.

My body tingled and I smiled again, "I wish I could but I've to stay sober."

"You don't need to get drunk to have fun, Candice." He said with something at the back of his voice.

Silence fell between us. I stared into his eyes for a long minute, wondering what he had meant. My head cocked to the side, I caught a glimpse of the hundred people partying, half of them already drunk and the other half dancing with the music.

Knox lowered his lips to my ear and whispered, "Don't tell Cain. I won't tell either."

I took a deep breath as his hands slipped away from my body. He released his tight grip over my hips and took a step back. My chest heaved as I blew out my breath and turned around.

With my mouth watering, I headed to the girl that was dancing. She held a drink in one hand while the other one was raised in the air. Several other people danced along with her before moving past and finding someone else.

I walked straight to her. She placed her hand on my shoulder and I leaned in close to her.

"Mhm, you're naughty one." She winked.

"Don't scream," I said before slipping my mouth to her neck and sinking my teeth into her flesh.

As ordered, she didn't scream, instead, she moaned and continued with dancing while I fed off her. Her blood seeped into my mouth and down to my throat. I closed my eyes, enjoyed every drop of it while her pulse throbbed against my lower lips.

After taking enough, I moved my mouth away from her neck and stepped back. I didn't want to kill anyone nor injure them.

I just wanted fun.

As soon as I was done, the girl placed her cold drink against her neck and continued to dance with the music. She disappeared into the crowd almost immediately and I never saw her again.

I bobbed my head here and there, seeking for her, wondering with a pacing heart if she was okay.

"Don't worry, she's going to be fine," Knox said, grabbing my face and turning me to him. Before I could say anything to him, he placed his lips against mine and kissed me hard. With the blood rush and all the emotions gathered inside me, I kissed him back and enjoyed.

Our tongues fought against each other. His body moved against mine at the perfect rhythm. He grabbed onto my hair while I pushed my nails into his neck, and we kissed harder.

A loud grunt left off him as he pulled away.

"Fuck." I shook my head, enjoying the buzz. "That was amazing!" I exclaimed as my heart continued to thud with the beat of the music.

"It's going to be a long night, Candice. Do you want to have some more fun?" He asked, holding my hand.

"Yes." I nodded with a cheerful smile and with blood smeared over my lips.

"Let's go, then."

We began walking toward another crowd in the party, seeking for the next victim to feed on but before I could do anything, Cain appeared in front of us with four guards to his side. I slapped my hand over my mouth quickly and tried to wipe away any of the blood that was left.

"We need to go immediately. He's here."

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr