Chapter 50

Chapter 50

My head moved to catch the sight of the sun as it slowly began to hid behind the treacherous mountain. The sky was a beautiful shade of bronze. It grew darker as seconds strike by. The clock ticked, I took in a deep breath and turned around. The lights of the estate were switched on as soon as the hint of darkness appeared in the sky.

It was eight in the evening.

Four hours away from midnight.

Four hours.

The estate was oddly quiet as if all the sounds had been swallowed up by the large, wide walls, leaving nothing but an eerie silence back. The twins were gone, long gone. They left the estate hours ago. Knox left after he had gifted me his precious gem and Cain had left moments before that. They had gone on a quest to release the prisoners under them.

It was a whole façade to invite the dark creature into the forest.

I tried not to think much but every time I tried, the fear became stronger and only one question rang through my head. What if I was killed? Was I ready to die? Certainly not. I wasn't pleased with the life I had lived with my parents but I was happy with the moments I had spent exploring and coming here.

"You're doing what for them?" Natalie screamed on the phone. The sounds of car raving and speeding blurred her screams a little. She was outside, away from our parents, finishing up some chores and doing groceries. It was just the perfect time to call her and tell her the truth.

"It's not for them only, Nat. It's for everyone—for all of us. I've seen the sword. They aren't lying to me. If there is a chance the dark creature can be killed or buried, I'm going to take it." I smiled sadly knowing her reaction was going to worsen in just a few more seconds.

"Candice!" She yelled. "Are you out of your mind? How can you even trust them? Oh my god, you really want to die, don't you?" Rage and frustration raced in her tone quicker than ever.

"I trust them." I lined my lips straight.

A strand of hair curled around my finger and I twisted it hard while staring at the tall ceiling above me. The estate was clear of anyone. The servants were at their quarters, warned by the twins that if they were found roaming around me, they were going to be sucked dry and be deprived of their own blood.

I wasn't hungry.

Not for blood.

But the threat worked and no one was found circling around me. It was just me, alone, in a big, empty house, waiting, waiting for the twins to return and announce my coming demise. Too lost in my thoughts, I decided to ring up Natalie before my own fear killed me.

"Why? Why do you trust them so much, Candice? They are strangers!" She exclaimed. I could sense her anger from afar. "What if you get killed?"

"I've seen the dark creature and there aren't many people that see him and live through the night but I did. I came out of the forest alive that night. He didn't kill me. Maybe it was the gem, maybe it was something else but he didn't kill me." I explained to her, repeating myself for the hundredth time.

"Okay, okay," She blew out a breath. "When is this going to happen?"

"Tonight," I glanced at the clock. It was eight-thirty. "Or maybe tomorrow night. I really don't know."

"You want to do this?"

"Yes." I didn't hesitate but my pulse spiked at my own response.

"Then what can I do? You've made up your mind. I can't stop you. Good luck, Candice."

"Thank you."

I felt a little better after having the conversation with Natalie. It ended on a positive note where she told me she had been missing me more than ever and that if the dark creature is killed, she'll be the first one to see me. She was slightly hesitant when mentioning our parents and what concerns they had shared with her over the past two days. I avoided thinking much about them. Amends and apologies were going to come after I was done facing the dark creature.

The entrance to the house was pulled open and the twins walked in.

I jumped off the couch and straightened myself upon seeing them. They were here. My heart ran a thousand miles an hour. Knox held his hand out to me and I took it before hugging him. He saw the fear on my face and knew what needed to be done.

"You'll be fine." He patted my back.

"Is he here?" I questioned as I moved aside from him. "Is he at the forest?" I bit my lower lip slowly. Anxiety gripped me from all sides. Part of me was waiting for this to happen.

"He'll be there by midnight, killing all those that have been set free." Cain responded to me. His features had darkened and his eyes had turned into a shade of deep red that didn't seem to disappear anytime soon. "We will be taking you to the towers and keeping you there until he is sighted by any of our men." He continued while taking my hand in his.

A sensation spread through my body immediately upon his touch. It tickled in my stomach and furthered down. I knew it was the bond but it still left me surprised for a minute. I had to get used to the butterflies exploding inside me whenever Cain embraced me.

"Are you okay?" He asked with deep concern.

I swallowed hard, "Yes. I think so."

"If you don't—"

"I want to." It was too late to turn away now. The brothers trusted me on completing this mission and returning to them with the gem's powers restored. "I'm just getting a little scared." I placed my hand over my chest and said.

Cain threw his arm over my shoulder and neared me to his warm body. "Don't be scared. You're a strong woman, Candice," He placed his hand over mine. "And you have the strongest heart among us all."

"I do?" It was hard to believe.

"Yes, as far as I know."

I slid my tongue over my lips and soaked them wet. "Thank you, Cain."

Showered with compliments and graces by both of the brothers, I felt better than ever but was unsure if they were doing this because I was doing them a favor. However, Knox's confession earlier cleared away those doubts. He felt something for me—love and his confession was all I needed.

"Let's get you dressed. It's cold outside."

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr