Chapter 59

Chapter 59

The sun rose, gently, taking its beautiful time to brighten the sky. It peaked out from the mountains, creating rays that spread all across Thornwood. The night was over, a new day had begun yet I was stuck in the same loop.

After leaving the basement, I headed up from the stairs and continued going till I was at the roof of the estate.

I sat silently near one of the chimney's, overlooking the acres of land owned by the twins. The sun mounted higher in the morning sky. The estate then reflected a beautiful golden color.

The nearby lands had also lit up, including the forest where the dark creature was last seen to be looming around. The morning had arrived and he was surely gone—gone to another part of the world where he could kill innocent souls and feed off them, where he could continue his mission without anyone stopping him.

A wolf sprinted across the perfectly tamed garden. A black wolf. His growls tore through the morning silence before he disappeared into the trees and the bushes.

I quickly recognized who it was.

Knox.

He was finding a way to remove his frustration after I had refused his request to return to the dark forest and encounter the creature again.

There were many thoughts, a dozen questions, and endless assumptions running through my head. Most of it was about the dark creature. I avoided thinking at all.

I sighed and tore my eyes away from Knox that had now disappeared in his wolf form.

Cain was still asleep. He was at peace believing the gem had enough power to restore the weapon but the truth was the opposite and it was going to crush his dream once Knox would inform him.

I took a few more breaths and then wiped the tears falling off my cheeks. My heart felt heavy and on the brink of leaping out of my chest.

The dark creature's words rang through my head over and over again.

What if the twins were simply using me? What if I wasn't going to be happy with them? What if they were the evil ones?

I got back on my feet and headed down from the staircase. My stomach rumbled with hunger and I planted a hand over it.

As soon as I was back inside the dark estate, I looked around, hoping to find a meal. My mouth went completely dry and my eyes ached with the tears that had left me.

"Miss. Candice, can I help you with something?" A servant appeared out of nowhere. She held a basket of clothes in her arms and a cheeky smile over her face.

Cain was dead asleep downstairs, two levels down from where I was standing and Knox was out of sight. There was no one else in this house that could stop me from having my meal.

I was done being the good girl.

"I'm hungry." I said after giving it a little thought.

"I'll ask the cook to prepare something for you." She replied, her smile never disappearing.

"No, no, I don't want that. I want blood." My eyes met with hers. "Could you drop the clothes you're holding an offer your blood to me?"

With a little trick of mind, she listened and quickly dropped the basket of clothes. She raised her hand and slipped a few strands of hair behind her shoulders. Her neck twisted, her vein pulsated and my canines tore through my lips.

I neared her but then took a step backward.

What was I doing?

It was wrong, completely wrong. Knox and Cain put their trust in me to not feed on their people yet I was slipping toward doing the exact same.

I was starving.

My stomach was making more than just a few sounds and the monster inside me was wanting to rip someone's throat and feed straight from the vein.

The servant didn't utter a word. She stood in front of me with her head twisted and her arms lowered.

"I'm so sorry." I stepped toward her and opened my mouth.

My vision turned red at the moment. I became colorblind as my teeth tore through her flesh and dipped straight into her vein. Her sweet blood spurred out of her and straight into my mouth, filling up my appetite almost immediately.

I took my precious time in feeding off her and continued with being careful enough to not kill her.

"You're delicious!" I said, wiping my mouth with the back of my hands and slipping away from her.

"Thank you." The woman replied, the same smile over her face.

"Don't worry, you'll be fine. It will heal in a few hours and then you can get on with your chores." I patted her shoulders and gave her some assurance.

She nodded and picked up the basket of clothes without a care in the world. As she headed down the stairs, my tongue clicked and I took a glance around, finding new portraits and rooms.

As I stepped inside one of the rooms, a strange smell crawled up to my nose as if someone had died here.

The room was old, it seemed like it hadn't been cleaned in years. There was dust everywhere, ancient furniture, old sheets, and curtains along with a few spiders roaming around.

I had seen the servants in this estate sweep every corner of this house. Why didn't they clean this?

Quickly, I stepped back out and called the servant that I had fed from. She took the stairs back up and returned to me, this time, she didn't hold the basket of clothes in her hands.

"How can I help you?" She asked, still being mind-controlled. It was going to wear off soon. Just needed some time.

"Why isn't this room being cleaned?" I questioned her while walking back into the dirty, old room.

"Oh, we have orders to not touch anything inside this room." The woman replied behind me.

"Orders from who?"

"The Alphas."

"Why?" I ran my finger across the wooden table and dirt piled up immediately. "Why would they do that?"

I slipped myself near to the wardrobes and opened one of them up to find old clothes that seemed like they hadn't been worn for decades.

The woman cleared her throat and said, "I don't think you should be touching that, Ms. Candice. It's a special room that needs to stay untouched."

"Why?" I repeated. When she didn't answer, I turned around and found her face brimming with panic. "Tell me why?" My eyes met straight with hers.

"The room belongs to the Alphas' late parents." She finally responded with the truth.

My heart sank and I blew out a breath. My eyes wandered across the room again.

The twin's parents were buried in the basement, in tombs behind their portraits. The room where their parents lived was untouched, I assumed ever since their deaths.

"Can you leave me alone for a bit? Don't mention to anyone I'm here." I said, holding the woman's arm and taking her toward the door.

She nodded and left the room.

The room where the truth could be found.

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr