Respect

I'm 23 years old and bought legos last night... and am debating buying more right now...

Also, tomorrow is Star Wars day and I do not apologize for the person I will become. 

Anyway.

Wedding coming soon.

 3 chapters left. 

Enjoy this update. 

May 2025

Patri's POV:

"Are we just going to ignore the fact that you had a panic attack while we were gone?" Lola asked.

Jess thought about it. "Yep." She nodded and held onto my arm. 

I smiled. "Babe. We should talk about it."

"There's nothing to talk about. I had a panic attack but I'm fine now. We're weeks away from getting married let's talk about that instead!" 

"Yes! Bachelorette parties!" Virginia clapped.

"Actually. Can we just do one party?" Jess asked.

"Why?" Carmen asked.

"Because my friends are Patri's friends and it feels pointless to have 2 separate parties."

"Well, you don't drink so we didn't want you to-"

"Leila." She sighed. "I can be around people who drink, ok? I'm fine now. People will be drinking at the wedding. Besides, Patri is my safe space and I missed her while she was gone."

"You're going to have the rest of your lives together." Mapi smiled. 

"It still isn't long enough." She winked.

"Someone's extra clingy today." I laughed.

Jessica's POV:

"I can't just love my almost wife?" 

I saw Lola stare at me. "Jess I have something to talk about regarding your wedding. Walk with me." She dragged me away. "Ok, what's going on? You're being weird."

I sighed. "No, I'm not."

"You're like glued to Patri's hip. You haven't left her side since the minute we got back. What's going on? Is it about your mother?" 

I turned to Patri and grabbed Lola. "Fine. Ever since she showed up I just," I shrugged. "I feel like she's going to show up at the wedding. I don't want her to do anything. What if Patri sees how she is and decides she doesn't want to marry me."

"Jess, Patri is in love with you. Nothing will change her mind. Besides I may or may not have paid your mom a little visit."

"What did you do?"

1 week ago

Patri's POV:

 "This is it." I parked.

"Is she home?"

"She's a stay-at-home mom." I looked at Lola. "I don't think this is a good idea."

"Why?" She stared at me. "She showed up to your apartment and caused Jess to have a panic attack. Threatened to show up to a wedding she is not welcomed at. Patri, this needs to be done, for Jess. Her mother needs to know that she crossed the line. Jess has been through enough. The day she gets married should be a day of celebration and love. Not worry that someone who caused her so much stress and pain might show up. If you don't want to be involved, stay in the car." She opened the car door and got out.

I went after her. She rang the doorbell and we waited.

The door opened. "Patri?" Her mother stood there. "What's going on? Is Jess alright."

"Jess is fine." I said. "We need to talk to you."

She looked at Lola and nodded. "Come in." We walked in and sat in the living room. "What is this about?" 

"Your little visit." Lola sighed. "Look. I know you're going to give us that whole I'm her mother I deserve to be involved bullshit of a speech. So I'm going to stop you and say this. You ARE the woman who brought Jess into this world, but you are not her mother. My mother is more of a mother to Jess than you are. Mothers don't visit their daughters and threaten to just show up at their wedding. Mothers don't give their daughter's numbers to their fathers after he's been gone for her whole life. Mothers don't do those things. You will NOT be showing up to their wedding unless Jess wants you there. And last time I spoke to her, which was yesterday after she had a PANIC ATTACK BECAUSE OF YOU! She doesn't want you there. I know she's an adult and can't be adopted anymore, but my mother has made it clear that Jess is her daughter now, which makes Jess my sister. My little sister. You aren't welcome at their wedding. You aren't welcome at their apartment. You aren't welcome in her life unless she wants you there. If she wants to see you, she'll call her. You're not in a position to just show up. That girl has suffered enough in her life." Lola stood up. "Show up to the wedding. I dare you. See what happens." She turned to me. "Good talk." Lola left. 

I looked at her mom. "Look. I'm sorry about her. She's protective about Jess. I am too but Lola is more likely to get violent." I sighed. "Jess has been through a lot, not just since meeting you. Her whole life has been difficult. And her father randomly showing up did not help anything. I'm sure at some point, she'll want to talk to you. But till that time, please just respect that she wants space from you. I didn't respect her wishes and I almost lost the love of my life." I smiled. "If you really care about her and want to be the mother to her that you are to your sons, respect her wishes."

She nodded and got up. She came back with an envelope. "A parent should pay for their child's wedding. But I don't want to overstep." She handed it to me. "I know someone at a travel agency. I'm sure you have the honeymoon all planned but if you two want to just take a romantic trip together, you call the number on that little card in there. They'll take care of it for you. My gift to you. As well as some money." She smiled. "It's not my place, but I'm happy she's marrying you, Patri. I don't know her that well, but knowing what she's been through and seeing someone love her as much as you do." She nodded. "I will respect her wishes. But tell her I said congratulations and I love her."

I nodded. "I will." 

I walked outside and got into the car. "Everything ok?" Lola asked.

"Yeah." I smiled. "And it will be even better after I marry Jess."

Present Day

Jess walked over. "Lola told me that you guys saw my mom." I nodded. "Lola didn't kick her ass did she?"

I laughed. "No. She didn't. If I wasn't there maybe she would've. After Lola left I talked to her." I told her everything. "I'm not pushing you to talk to me or to forgive her. But she won't be trying to talk to you anymore. Not unless you reach out first. If that isn't for another 10 years," I shrugged. "Then that's your decision to make. And as your wife," I smiled. "I will be by your side every step of the way."

"I can't wait to officially call you my wife." She smiled. "I love you, Patri."

"I love you too."