Open Up

August 2018

Patri's POV:

"Ok first game against Paraguay. Here's how we are lining up." I looked at the lineup. "Captain is Aitana. Everyone good on that?" We all agreed. "Great. This is a good side but I expect a great game out of everyone tomorrow. Head out to the field. Carmen stay back a minute. Jessica is leading the warmup then we'll get to work."

We got up and headed to the field. "Ok!" Jessica stood around us. "Just stretch it out. Patri why don't you lead us?"

"Um ok." I stood in the middle. "You heard her! Stretch it out!"

Jessica's POV:

As the team worked through drills, I stood off to the side. Carmen was next to me. "I feel fine. I can play."

"Then get out there." I smiled. "We've been working hard and I believe you're good to go. So I'm telling you to get out there." She started to jog to join the group. "Carmen! Take it easy though. Ok?"

"Ok!" 

I laughed and watched them practice. "How do you like the job?" The coach walked over.

"They're a great group." I smiled. "Makes it a little bit easier."

"Most of these girls have grown very fond of you. When they leave and join the senior team, I don't know what they'll do." I nodded. "I heard a spot is opening up. I'm going to recommend you for it. I don't know which team exactly, but it's not a youth team. You'd be dealing with a mix of older and younger players."

"That's amazing. Thank you."

"It's one thing to be good at your job. But to make these girls feel comfortable. That's the most important. They feel comfortable and safe, they'll be treated as needed and always stay on top of their game." I nodded. "Big game tomorrow. Wrap this up."

"Right away." I jogged to the group. "Ok, everyone! Slow down!" I laughed and grabbed a speeding Laia. "Take it easy there, kiddo." She laughed. "Cool down. Catch your breath. Everyone good?" They all nodded. "Ok. Catch your breath then I want a few laps around the field. Light jog ok? No sprinting." I pointed at Laia. 

"Carmen was chasing me."

"I told you to take it easy." I looked at her.

Carmen shrugged. "It's fun." 

"Off you go." I shook my head. I watched them and before we knew it, it was game day.

Spain against Paraguay. 

Patri's POV:

I heard the crowd cheer but stayed down. I reached for my ankle and rolled over. "Patri." Aitana ran over. "Hey!" 

The ref jogged over then signaled for the trainers. 

"Patri." Jessica ran over. "Hey what's going on?"

"My ankle." I rolled over again. 

"Ok. You're ok." She started moving it around. After a while, the pain eased up. "Up you go." She helped me to my feet. "Walk it off."

"She has to go off."

"Yeah give her a minute alright." She looked at the ref and helped me off the field. "I got you." 

"I'm fine." I said.

"I know, but just take it easy for a minute. Look at me." I did. "Ok." I nodded. "Put some weight on it." 

I started walking around on it and it felt better with each step. "You good now?" I nodded. "Ok. Be careful." She patted my shoulder. The ref let me back on and I joined the match.