Here Now

January 2023

Patri's POV:

"Manchester United continued their winning ways yesterday. Ona Batlle once again the star of the game as United kept a clean sheet."

I scrolled through my phone.

"And Atleti fan should have noticed a familiar face on the sidelines for Manchester. Former Atletico Madrid trainer, Jessica Torres now the trainer for United."

I looked up. "What."

Jessica's POV:

"Never leave me again." Ona held onto me. 

I laughed. "I'm happy to see you crushing it though. How's England treating you?" I smiled.

"It's been a great almost 3 years." She said. "I miss Spain though, but I'm doing well here." 

"I can see that." I looked at the fans screaming for her. "You're a star, kid."

"How are you doing?" She said. "Laia told me you got hit by a car? Lost your memory?"

"Yeah, that was fun." I said. "But I'm fine now. Memories are back. I'm working again. We're back to normal."

"You and Patri?"

"Are taking a break." I said. "We talk sometimes but I need to figure out what my life is without her. I need to be Jess and not Jess, Patri's girlfriend."

"I get that."

"She does too. Now at least." 

Patri's POV:

"When did she go to Manchester?" Leila asked. "Did anyone know about this?"

Lola started to slide down her chair. "LOLA!" I yelled.

"What!" She sat up. "I was slipping!"

"SLIPPING MY ASS!" Leila stood up. "YOU KNEW!"

"She told me she got the offer! What was I supposed to do?"

"Tell us!"

"It wasn't my news to tell, Leila. If she didn't tell anyone, that's HER choice, not my fault. She's with Ona! She's working again. What's the problem? Cause she's in Manchester?"

I leaned back in my chair. "She didn't tell us." Leila said. "We're not her friends anymore?"

"It's not like that, Leila." Lola said. "Stop taking it so personally."

"Aren't you upset?" Leila looked at me.

"I'm upset I didn't know. But I'm happy she's working again. And like Lola said, she's with Ona. If she's happy so am I."

May 2023

Jessica's POV:

The World Cup was this summer. Spain would be competing it in and I was happy for them.

My time at Manchester United was only for half a season. As my time there neared the end, I was focused on what was next.

Which wasn't certain.

Atleti wants me back, but I've really enjoyed my time away from Spain.

I looked down at my phone and saw a text from my mom.

When you're back home please let me know. We really need to talk, Jessica

I rolled my eyes and locked the phone. 

Hard pass.

June 2023

Patri's POV:

Next month is the World Cup.