To Myself

July 2023

Jessica's POV:

"Send Patri your location with your phone. We'll come get you." Carmen said.

Patri nodded. "Yeah. Do that. We'll get in the car right now."

I smiled. "You sure? Don't you have important team stuff?"

"Since we won yesterday, we have today off."

"Ok. Fine." I said. "I'll see you guys soon." I hung up and waited.

"Kid." A man said. 

I sighed and turned around. "Why are you everywhere." I looked at him. "Get a life."

"Until you hear me out, no." 

"What part of I want NOTHING to do with you don't you understand?" 

"Jessica."

"No." I shook my head. "You're nothing to me. I don't have a father. You don't get to leave and come back.  Acting like I'm going to welcome you back with open arms."

Patri's POV:

"There she is." I said. "Who is that?"

"That can't be." Lola said.

We got out of the car and walked over. "Jessica just let me speak."

"I don't want to hear it." 

"Jess." I walked over. "You okay?" I grabbed her hand. 

"You must be Patri. Nice to meet my daughter's girlfriend." 

"I'm not your daughter." Jess said. "Don't call me that."

"Jessica I am your father. Whether you like it or not. I am your father."

"I don't have a father. The man who abandoned me doesn't deserve that title. You are nothing to me. Maybe if you weren't in Madrid the entire time."

"I didn't know you were there. You had a family what did you expect me to do?"

"I had a family? You think that was a family? Do you know what they did to me? Do you know?" She looked at us and starting to walk towards him. "They starved me. They beat me for asking for a little help. A little love." I saw Lola's fists clench. Mine did too. "And that whole time I hoped my parents would show up and take me back. But they didn't. And now I find out that every time I was denied food. Every time I was beaten. Every time I wished for my parents, FOR YOU to come save me, you were there, in Madrid. The whole time. But you never came. So you don't get to show up now."

She put her hand out and I grabbed it. "I got you." I whispered. 

She took one last look at him. "Never speak to me again." She said and turned back to me. "Please get me out of here."

"Of course." I walked her back to the car. 

"Lola." Carmen said. "It's not worth it."

"If I ever see you near her again, I'll deal with you myself."

"And who are you?"

"I'm her sister. And no one fucks with her. Not when I'm around." 

I got Jess in the car and she put her head on my shoulder. "What do you need?" I asked.

"Just hold me." 

"Always." I kissed the top of her head. "You are the strongest woman I know."

"No one fucks with Jess but me." Lola said as she got into the car. "You ok, kid?" She turned to the backseat. "I'll go back there and punch him. Just say the word." Jess smiled. "There it is." Lola smiled. "Let's go home, children."

"Hey." Carmen said.

"Let's go home children and puppy."

"Yeah, I guess." Carmen shrugged.

August 2023

Jessica's POV:

The World Cup ended and we got back to Spain. I went with Patri to Barcelona and stayed with her. 

My father never reached out after that day in Australia. My mother also stopped trying.

Lola still offered to track him down and fight him for me. She knew it made me smile every time. 

"Babe?" Patri looked into the room. "Leila and Mapi want to come over? Is that ok?"

"It's your apartment." I said.

"It's OUR apartment." She smiled. "And either way do you want company?"

"I like having you all to myself, but friends would be nice." I smiled.

We sat and waited and then they showed up. "How's my favorite couple!" Leila yelled. "Jess you're looking hot today." She winked.

"Can you NOT flirt with my girlfriend for once?" Patri said. 

"Leila. You're attractive but you're not my type. Also, go call Mariona." 

"We have talked." Leila smiled. "And we're going out tomorrow. I'm gonna do it all over this time. No mistakes. It's going to be better." 

"And then there's me." Mapi leaned back on the couch.

"Don't want to settle down, neck tattoo?" I asked.

"I don't know how I feel about MARRIAGE." She said and smirked.

"Why'd you say it like that?" Leila asked.

"I don't know. Just wanted to ENGAGE in the conversation."

"You're lucky Leila has the attention span of a peanut." Patri said.

"Hey did you paint the walls?" Leila looked around.

"If you say anything again I'll kill you." I glared at Mapi.

"Is that a threat or a PROMISE?"

Patri's POV:

A few days later we reported to the training center for preseason.

"Everyone we have a new trainer on our staff. She may be familiar. Please welcome Jessica Torres." 

I smiled. "Finally." I said softly.

"Hello." Jess waved. "I'm happy to be here. If you need anything at any time, please feel free to come see me. My door will always be open for you guys. I'm here to help you be at your best."

"Tell us secrets about Atleti." Alexia smirked.

"I think you guys are more than capable of handling them without secrets." She said.

"Right answer." Alexia nodded.

"Alright everyone get ready. Be on the field in 15."

I stood up. "Is it against the rules to date my trainer?" I crossed my arms. 

"I just want to make something clear." She smirked. "I'm here to do my job. This is a big opportunity for me and I'm taking it very seriously."

"I'm going to spoil how that whole thing ended. You fell in love with me."

"If I remember correctly." She leaned toward me. "You fell first." She kissed my cheek and walked away. "Let's hurry up, Guijarro. Don't want to be late for my first session." She went outside.

I laughed. "Yes, ma'am."

Aitana slowly clapped. "Remember how awkward you were when you first met her? Couldn't even say your own name. Now, look at you."

"Love." I said. "Changes us."

"Happiness looks good on you, Guijarro." She walked to the locker room. "Let's have a good season."

"With my best friends and now the love of my life here too? How could we not?"