Then Nothing

When I tell y'all I pulled this out of my ass! 

My coworker? The one I caught feelings for? I'm days away from squaring up AND quitting my job. AND dropping out of school.

A bitch is done.

It's me.

I'm a bitch.

Anyway, enjoy this update.

August 2022

Patri's POV:

"Hey, it's Jess! Leave a message!" 

I sighed and hung up.

"Still nothing?"

"I know she wanted a break but I just want to know how she's doing."

"You did walk out though, Patri." Alexia sat next to me. "Not actually sure why she'd want to tell you anything."

"She broke up with me." I turned to her. "She dumped me."

"No one got dumped. She needed a break from everything. She's going through a lot."

"I was by her side the first time! Why not this time?"

"Because the first time, she acknowledged that she needed help before it got worse. Went to the hospital when she was worried about her own safety. This time? She's been drinking. A lot, Patri. To cope with a wound that's been open since the minute she was born. A wound she thought was healed and rehealed but got ripped open without warning. Patri, give Jess the time and space she needs. She thought he was gone completely. Now he just shows up? Let her process that."

Jessica's POV:

"Next round is on me." I smirked. 

"I think you've had enough." The bartender laughed.

"Aww come on." I leaned against the bar. "We're just getting started!"

"Jess?" I saw Lola.

"Oh great. Here comes the fun police." I sighed.

"Jess, what the hell?" Lola looked at me. "We were having a night in."

"Yeah well, the night was lacking something."

"What?"

"Shots!" The bartender yelled.

"Yay shots!" Leila clapped.

"LEILA!" Lola yelled.

"WHAT!" Leila yelled. "Don't yell at me! Yell at the alcoholic."

I rolled my eyes. "I thought you were back on track." Lola said. "You talked to your father. You told me it all went well."

"Come on, Lola." I sighed. "I lied!" I laughed. "And you fell for it! I didn't talk to him. I called him. Didn't say anything. Listened to him try to play the victim and then I hung up." I gave the bartender money. "And then I told you it went well." I walked outside.

"Why?" Lola followed me outside. "Why not tell me the truth. It's me, Jess. You don't have to lie to me!"

"But I do!" I turned to her. "Because you've lied to me." 

"What?"

"I hear you at night. Hey Patri. Yeah no she was fine today. Ok, I'll check in tomorrow." I shook my head. "Every single night. I left my babysitter of a girlfriend, for my babysitter of a best friend. I thought you were with me."

"I am with you, Jess."

"No. You're still with Patri. All of you are with Patri. It will always be her first, and I get that. She's your teammate. When we first met, you told me you gotta look out for your team." I said. "You heard somethings about me that you didn't like. What did you do? Told me to stay away from Patri. You will ALWAYS protect Patri. I get it. I'll always protect her too. I fled the country at the first sign of danger not because of my safety. But because of Patri's." I shook my head. "I'm just the side character here." I shrugged. "I've been in the background my whole life. Why would new friends, a new job, and a loving girlfriend change any of that?"

September 2022

Patri's POV:

"Hey, Lola. How is she?"

Lola sighed. "I don't know. She snuck out about 2 weeks ago. Leila and I found her at a bar. We haven't seen or heard from her since. Patri, she's," I sat up. "She's really far gone this time. I'm not telling you to give up and move on. But I think you need to just give it time. The trial is in a few months. Maybe she'll come back then but for now? Just give her space."

I hung up and put my phone down.

"She's really far gone this time."

I rubbed my forehead and opened her contact. 

"Hey, it's Jess! Leave a message!" 

I waited for the beep. "Hey, Jess. It's Patri. I know I'm probably the last person you want to hear from right now but please listen to this. I know you feel like we all ganged up on you. And we did, I won't lie. But we didn't do it cause we don't trust you. We did it cause we're worried."

Jessica's POV:

"More for my friends." 

"Jess, you deserve the world. This life you've been given, it's been cruel to you. And I'm so sorry. I wish I could take away all of that pain. Take it away and just let you be peaceful and happy."

"Another round?"

I saw my phone light up. 

Patri

"No. Not tonight." I grabbed my jacket. "I'll see you guys later." I grabbed my phone and walked out. 

"You're hurting right now, but the way you're trying to handle it. It's not healthy. None of us want to see you like this. I don't want to see you like this. Jess, you don't have to talk to me now. But when you want to, I'm here. Whenever you need me. I'll pick up the call. Please just, stay safe. Don't punch any more guys, I know they deserve it, but stay out of trouble."

I looked down.

"I love you. So, so much, Jessica Torres. More than I have the words to say. I hope to hear from you soon."

The message ended and I looked at the sky. "I love you too, Patri Guijarro." 

I saw bright lights. 

Then I saw nothing.