Getting Tired

June 2020

Patri's POV:

"You've reached Jess. Leave a message!"

I sighed and hung up. "What's going on with her?" I looked at Carmen. "What do you know, Menayo?"

"Nothing." She said. "We saw her before we left for the national team. Didn't even come say bye to us."

"Is she coming to England?" Lola asked.

"That's what I'm trying to find out. She won't answer me. I haven't talked to her. I just feel like she's not telling me how she really feels about her father. I know she said to drop it, but she's clearly more affected by it than she's being honest about. Why won't she just tell someone! It doesn't have to be me."

Lola shook her head. "Let me try." She called Jess.

Jessica's POV:

I looked at my phone.

Lola

I sighed and grabbed it. "Hello?"

"She's alive!"

"What do you want?"

"Wow. Rude. I just wanted to know if you're gonna come to England for a game or two? Support your country. Cheer on your favorite idiots! Oh and your girlfriend will be there too."

I closed my eyes. "Right the Euros. Um." I looked at my phone for the date. "Maybe. I don't know. When does it start?"

"In a week."

"Um. Maybe. I'll text you. Bye." I hung up. "Fuck." I rubbed my face.

I sat up on the couch and looked at the table. I grabbed one of the bottles.

It was empty.

I put it down and got up. Packed for England and then booked the first flight I could. "Time to be normal."

My phone went off.

Please come back so I can explain everything. Please, Jessica. I'm not asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for you to hear me.

I rolled my eyes.

"No."

July 2022

Patri's POV:

The tournament kicked off today. I got a text.

I just landed. When's the game?

"Jess is here." I looked at Carmen. "Anyone know where I can get a car right about now?"

"Think fast!" Leila threw keys at my face.

"LEILA!" Alexia yelled.

"Oh my god!" Carmen pushed her.

Mariona just rolled her eyes. "I said think fast!" Leila yelled. "Slow ass."

I got the car and drove to the airport. I texted Jess that I was there and waited for her.

She walked out and I got out of the car. "Jess." I smiled.

"Why'd you come?" She walked to me.

"My girlfriend flew here and I wasn't gonna pick her up?"

She shook her head. "You're insane." She laughed.

I put her bag in the car and we got in. "Hi." I looked at her.

"You're cute."

"I know." I laughed. I started driving to the hotel. "So we have our own floor at this hotel. I talked with the hotel and got you a room on the floor below us."