Just Us

Sorry if this sucks. 

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.

Might not update for this week.

I'm working all week and have assignments for my classes.

September 2022

Patri's POV:

It's been 2 weeks.

Two weeks since Jess was hit by that car.

Two weeks since any of us has heard her talk.

Two weeks said she said she loved me too.

I stayed by her side and held her hand. The nurse came in to check everything. "The doctor will be in soon. Just an update." She said before leaving.

Everyone returned back to their clubs. I requested a personal leave for the start of the season. 

I didn't want Jess to be alone.

Even if she isn't awake yet.

Lola came to see her every day. Even after practice. Carmen too. 

The first time Carmen came, she cried. She apologized to Jess for not trying hard enough to help her. 

The door opened and the doctor came in. "Hello." He smiled. "So nothing more to update. Her brain is still very active which is a good sign. Everything seems to be healing. With brain injuries, it can be difficult. Things can happen so quickly without warning. Which is why I do this daily. But again, she is doing just fine."

"Then why isn't she awake yet?"

"Patri," He sat next to me. "You do understand what happened right? When that car hit her? The impact of her head on the street? She's lucky to be in this condition. I'm going to be honest with you. During the surgery, there were many times I thought we lost her. But she kept coming back. She kept fighting. She's not ready to go, but she's not ready to come back yet. Her brain is still healing, her body too. I know it feels like it's been forever, but be patient."

"It has been forever. We weren't in a good place before the accident. And if that's the last memory of us together that she has? I won't be able to live with myself."

He stood up. "They say that they can hear us. Why don't you try talking to her? Instead of sitting here every day in silence. That Lola girl? Never shuts up when she's here." He laughed. "Try talking. It will help." He left. 

I looked at Jess and smiled. "It won't hurt to try." I sighed. "I shouldn't have let you go, Jess. I know we needed the space, you needed the space. But you were hurting and starting to spiral. I just let you go. I should've fought harder for us, for you." I held her hand. "Come back to me so we can work this out. Your last memory of us can't be a fight." 

I sat with her a while longer than heard the door open. "Lola. You're late today." I smiled and turned around. "Leila?"

"Thought I'd come sit with her for a while." She said. "If that's alright."

"Of course." I nodded. 

She sat down and stared at Jess. "How is she?"

"The same." I shrugged. "Do you think she'll wake up?"

"I hope she does."

"I hope she does too, Leila. But do you think she will?"

She sighed. "I don't know. I really don't know, Patri." 

Jessica's POV:

"I wish I could say yes, but I don't know. Only she knows."

Leila?

"I just want to tell her I love her. And then never let her think I'm not on her side ever again."

I know you're on my side Patri.

"Shit, I gotta go. Call me if anything changes?" 

"I will." 

Leila don't leave.

"It's just us now, Jess. I'm not leaving you. Never again. You aren't alone. You can come to be whenever you need to, when you're ready. I didn't wait for you to be ready to talk about your father. I kept trying to push you, but I'm not going to do that anymore. Just come back to me." 

Why can't I open my eyes?

2 days later 

Patri's POV:

I stared at Jess while she laid there. The doctor came in.

"Anything?" I stood up.

"We want to try something. Her vitals have continued to improve. We want to see if she can breathe on her own."

"And if she can't?"

"We're right here." 

I wanted as they removed tubes and turned off machines. Then they waited. No one said anything, which worried me.

But I guess the silence was also positive. 

"What's happening?" I asked the doctor.

He turned to me and smiled. "She is breathing on her own. This is good." I looked down. "Nurse. Stay here and continue to monitor her. Just to be safe. Patri, this is a step in the right direction."

I sat back by her side and grabbed her hand. "Just come back to me. Please."

2 days later

I sat and scrolled through my phone.

More texts asking for updates.

The only one I could give? Jess is still breathing without help.

But she still hasn't woken up yet.

I heard something move and looked. "Jess?" I went to her side. "Jess did you move?" 

The nurse came in. "Everything ok?"

"I think she just moved."

The nurse walked to the other side. 

Jess's hand moved. 

"Is she waking up?"

"I'm not sure." She said. "Let me get the doctor." She left.

She came back a few minutes later with the doctor. "Jess?" He looked at her. "Can you hear me?" Her hand twitched. "Good. Can you open your eyes for me?" 

Nothing.

I grabbed her hand. "I'm here." She squeezed it. 

Her eyes slowly opened. "What happened? Where am I?"

"Jess you were in an accident. You're in the hospital."

"Accident? Where's everyone else?" She asked.

"Patri's right next to you."

"Patri?" She looked at me. "Who are you?"

I looked at the doctor. 

"Jess what year is it?" He asked.

"2014?"