Poor Girl

September 2022

Patri's POV:

I hung up after leaving the voicemail. "You ok?" Jenni asked.

"No." I shook my head. "I just miss her, Jenni. I know she needs space but I miss her."

"Come here." Jenni put her arm around me. "She'll come out on the other side of this stronger. You both will."

She stayed on the couch with me. I started to feel myself fall asleep. "Patri wake up. Your phone's ringing."

"Jess?" I sat up and grabbed it. "Hello?"

"Is it?" Jenni asked.

"No. Spam call." I hung up. The door opened. "Sure Vir. Come on in." I sighed.

"I'm here to check on you."

"We should be checking on you. How are you feeling?" Jenni asked.

"Like I could run a marathon." She smiled and sat down. "You look exhausted." She looked at me.

"I am." I closed my eyes. "Jess is gone. Lola and Leila have no idea where she is."

"Maybe she went to get help. She's probably at a treatment center right now."

Jessica's POV:

I stood on the sidewalk and finished listening to Patri's voicemail. When it ended, I looked at the sky.

"I love you too, Patri Guijarro."

"Miss? Can you hear me?" 

Everything was blurry. 

"Miss, can you tell me where you are?"

I tried to sit up.

"She's not responsive."

"Patri?" I moved my hand. 

"It's ok." Someone grabbed my hand. "We're here to help you."

It all went black again.

Patri's POV:

I sat on the couch with Virginia. "OW!" Jenni yelled.

"What happened?" I walked in.

"I just cut my hand. It's fine. Not that bad." Jenni said. "Oh. That's," She closed her eyes. "That's a lot of blood. Anyone else really weak?" 

"Ok!" I grabbed a towel. "Hold that there. Uhh, Ale?"

"Yeah?" She walked in. She looked at Jenni and sighed. "What did you do?"

"I'm bleeding." Jenni mumbled.

"Ok. Everyone in the car." Alexia grabbed her keys.

Jessica's POV:

I heard sirens? 

"We're losing her."

I feel fine? Who are they losing?

Why didn't I just answer Patri?

Am I going to die like this?

Patri's POV: 

"How the hell did you manage to cut your hand." Alexia sighed. "I swear, I'm dating the world's biggest idiot."

I looked at Virginia. "Why are you looking at me?" She asked.

"Why are you looking at me?" I responded.

"Oh my god." Alexia shook her head. "Patri, Virginia's basically family for me, she knows. Vir, Patri's a literal angel, she knows."

"Huh." Vir nodded. "Well, now that someone else knows. Aren't they just the cutest couple?"

"No." I shook my head. "Why are we ALL going to the hospital?" I asked.

"So that when the doctor tells Jenni to NOT use that hand, more people can yell at her when she says she's fine."

"It's just a little cut." Jenni sighed.

"Tell that to the blood-soaked towel." Virginia responded.

We got to the hospital and went to the desk. "I need stitches." Jenni said. "Cut my hand while trying to help cook." She turned to Alexia. 

"Alright."

I sat down with Virginia. The doors where the ambulances pulled up opened.

"We have a female. Mid 20s, hit by a car. Driver called and then left the scene. In and out of consciousness. Not responsive at the scene." 

I looked. "Poor girl." Virginia sighed. "Hope she pulls through."

"Me too." I shook my head. "The driver called? Then just left her? Who does that?"

"A terrible person." Virginia sighed. We looked at Alexia. "Well?" 

"It's a pretty deep cut but it's not serious. She's gonna need stitches." Alexia sighed. She turned towards the crowd that was disappearing. "What happened?"

"Young girl got hit by a car. Driver called to report it and then left her."

"That's horrible." Alexia sat down. "Wish we could do something."

"Well, hearing about a car crash is making me miss Jess even more."

"Kind of dark." Virginia said. 

"Very dark." Alexia nodded. 

"I'm gonna call her." I got up and called. 

"Hey, it's Jess! Leave a message!"

I sighed and hung up. "Come on Jess. Just answer me."

I called again. A cop walked by.

I heard Jess's ringtone. "Patri Jenni is getting the stitches now. Alexia said we could just order food. What's that face?"

I lowered my phone. "That's," I stood up. "no."

"What?" Virginia said. "Patri look at me." 

"That's Jess. I called her. The cop walked by. I heard her phone. That's Jess." I walked towards them.

"Miss please go sit down." The cop said. "This is a private matter."

"That's my girlfriend!"

"I'm sorry. But you need to go sit and wait. You can't help her. Let the doctor do their jobs." They walked away. 

"Patri." Alexia ran over. "What happened?"

"That was Jess." 

They stood there with me.

Jenni walked out all smiles. "Guess who got their hand put back together!" She held up her wrapped hand. She noticed our faces. "What happened?" 

"Jess." Virginia said. "That's Jess."

"You guys can go home. I need to," I walked closer to where Jess was. "I need to stay."

"I'll call Lola." Virginia said. "She needs to know."

"Do we know for sure?" Jenni said.

"I called her. As soon as I called her and that cop walked by, I heard her phone."

"But did you see her face?" Jenni asked.

"No." I shook my head. "I didn't. But I know what I heard, Jenni. Believe me or not, I don't care. The woman I love got hit by a car and left on the street. I'm staying." 

"Hey Lola." Virginia said. "There's been an accident. We think it's Jess." She walked away.

"Leila?" Alexia said. "You need to come to the hospital. It's Jess." 

Jenni walk towards me and wrapped her arms around me. "I'll always believe you, Patri. I just hope it's not her. I don't want to see either of you hurting. Especially not her. Not now."

I nodded and hugged her. "I love her, Jenni."

"I know you do, kid." She rubbed my back. "I know you do."