Better Off

So considering we have no idea when these lockdowns are going to end, I'm just going to be positive and say May. 

May 2020

Jessica's POV:

"Is it over?" I said walking into Lola and Carmen's apartment. "Are we free?"

Lola smiled. "No new cases in 3 weeks. Everyone who has tested positive is in quarantine. They are saying to stay inside for another 2 weeks though."

"FREEDOM!" I cheered.

"Now you can fucking call Patri!" Lola cheered back.

"Hey." I pointed at her. "Fuck you."

"I don't think I can handle another 2 weeks." Carmen mumbled. "Not with you two."

"Virginia is right downstairs." Lola turned to her.

"IS THAT BETTER?!"

"Than Lola? Yes." I crossed my arms.

"Those are fighting words. Why'd you have to leave the country again? Let me call him real quick. She's over here!" 

"He comes for me, he comes for you too, dumbass."

"I'm the dumbass? Who went headfirst into a tree?"

"I did! And I'd do it again if I never had to talk to you again!"

"ENOUGH!" Carmen yelled slowly sliding off the couch. "Enough." She repeated. She laid face down on the floor. "Please stop." She mumbled into the rug. 

"Are, is she ok?" I looked at Lola.

"I think we finally broke her." She sighed. "Babe it's ok. Get up."

"I have no energy." 

I put my hands on my hips. "What if I said I'm gonna go call Patri?"

Carmen jumped up. "I LIVE! GO CALL HER!" 

I laughed. "Fine." I went back to my apartment and grabbed my phone. I haven't talked to her since December. I opened her contact and took a deep breath. "It's just Patri." I said to myself. "Why am I so nervous?" I tapped her name and waited for an answer.

Patri's POV:

I picked up my phone. "Who is it?" Carla asked.

"Jess." I sighed. 

"Aren't you going to answer it?"

"And listen to complete silence and then get her voicemail again? No thanks." I put my phone down. 

Jessica's POV:

"It's Patri. Can't get the phone please leave a message!" 

I shook my head. "Hi, Patri. It's Jess, um I'm home. When we're finally down with this lockdown I'd like to meet up. Or something you don't have too, I just. I know things can't go back to normal but I'd like to see you. If you want. Call me back." I hung up and put my phone down. 

I opened Instagram and walked to my balcony. I took a picture and put it on my story. 

Home

Patri's POV:

"1 week down. 1 week left." I smiled. "Then freedom."

Carla laughed. "Can we talk?"

"We're talking now."

"Patri." She sat up. "I'm being serious."

"Ok." I looked at her. "Let's talk. What's on your mind?"

"Jess." I looked down. "I looked at her Instagram. She is back in Spain, Patri. She's been posting. Why are you trying to ignore it?"

"I'm not." I looked away.

"You are." She stood up. "You're afraid." I looked at her. "You're afraid that if you acknowledge that she's home, she'll leave again. Don't have to worry about her leaving if she's not home in your mind." 

I sighed.

"She's called you 5 times Patri. 5 times she's called, 5 times you let it ring. 5 voicemails you still haven't listened too. All you wanted was for her to come home, all you wanted was to talk to her. Now she's home, she's trying to talk to you and you're acting like she's not."

I nodded. "I don't know what you want me to say here."

"I don't want you to say anything. I want you to call her back, Patri. Stop torturing yourself, and her."

Jessica's POV:

"Jess!" Virginia yelled. "You're home!"

"Yeah, I am."

"When did you get home?" 

"Um." I laughed. "I've been home since March."

"You asshole." She pushed me. "March?"

"And why didn't you tell me?"

"Because I got home and the lockdown started." I sighed. "Only people who knew were Lola and Carmen. And that's only because I live across the hall from them."

She shook her head. "Could've called me."

"Yeh but then you would've wanted to tackle me and see me. This is the first time I've left that floor since I moved in." I laughed. I've been in my apartment the whole time. I've been to Lola and Carmen's like 4 times total." 

I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I took it out. "Who is it?" Vir asked.

I looked.

Patri

"It's Patri." I looked at her.

"Answer it."

"Um." I slide to answer. "Hello?"

"Jess." 

"Patri." I smiled and walked away. "You called me back."

"Yeah."

"Only took a week."

"Well, took you a couple." She said. "I'm sorry that was rude."

"No, I deserved it." I sighed. "Look, I'm not going to lie to you. I got home in March, I came home right as the lockdown was starting. I wanted to call you, but I wanted to see you. I knew that with the lockdown and everything, I wouldn't be able too and I decided to wait. Then I called you that night and she answered. I know, I told you to move on if you found someone, and if you're happy then so am I." I smiled. "I was at the game, Patri. In Dallas. It was me." 

"I knew it." She said. "I knew it was you. I heard your voice in the crowd when I got subbed off. Everyone said I was crazy and hearing things, but I knew."

"I didn't want you to see me, I couldn't let you see me. But my host family, that girl is very persistent. Only my host mom knew the situation I was in. She knew my real name and everything. No one else did. All I wanted to do was turn around and tell you it was me. But I couldn't, Patri." 

"You called me and said nothing. I called you back and you never answered."

"I didn't want to call you. I know about Carla. I saw on your Instagram before you even came to America. You're happy and I didn't want to ruin that. Patri, you're better off without me."

"4 months ago I would've told you you're wrong. But you sent me to voicemail for weeks, you were home for 2 months and didn't call me. Didn't even tell me. Maybe I am." 

I felt the tears roll down my cheeks. "You always were." I hung up. 

"Jess are you,"

"I'll see you around Virginia." I walked away. 

Did you really think I was going to let them be happy??? HA. 

I'm evil. I know. 

QUESTION TIME!

What was your first language? 

Mine was half English half Portuguese. My mom spoke English with me, my dad spoke English with me but Portuguese around me and my great grandmother who raised me spoke mainly Portuguese.