Something Missing

March 2020

Patri's POV:

"Yes. I'll be back as soon as the tournament is over." I smiled. "Ok. I'll see you soon." I saw Alexia smirking. "Bye." I hung up. "What?"

"I thought it was going to be one date?" She said getting her bag.

"One date turned into two. Then two turned into three." I shook my head. 

"You don't have to explain anything, Patri. If you're happy, I'm happy."

I nodded. "I'm happy."

"Good." She put her arm around me. "Now, who's ready for a never-ending flight to America?" She said.

Everyone laughed. 

Jessica's POV:

"We should try to go to that game." 

"What game?" I asked.

"Those USA games. They're playing at Toyota Stadium. Not a far drive."

"If you want." I nodded.

"I just figured because you said you're a socc- football fan. At least that's what they told us when we agreed to host you. I want you to feel at home, Rosa. It'll be fun." 

I nodded. "Ok. We'll go." 

I opened Instagram and looked at Spain's. They were traveling from Madrid to Miami.

Patri.

She's coming here. 

As much as I wanted to see her and talk to her, I knew I couldn't.

I'm not just doing this to protect myself, I'm doing this to protect her.

Patri's POV:

"I want to sleep!" 

"Not yet!" 

"Why not!"

"We still have one more flight." Leila dragged me. "Come on, baby goat. We got this!"

"Yeah, that's nice, Leila. Drag her." Virginia shook her head. 

"This what happens when you stay up all night talking to your girlfriend instead of sleeping." Leila said.

"You talked to Jess!" Lola got excited.

"Aw. You didn't tell them." Leila nodded. "Of course, no she's not talking to Jess. We don't know where Jess is, or how to reach her. Little Patri here moved on though! It's just one date my ass!" She walked away. 

"I'm so confused." Lola said. "So it's not Jess?" 

I sighed and walked away. "Leila!" I ran after her. "Can we talk about this?"

"No, we can't."

"Then can you at least listen!" I grabbed her arm. 

She turned to me and crossed her arms. "What's the plan here, Patri? Hmm? You date Carla, spend all this time with her, then what happens when Jess comes home? You drop Carla and break her heart or do you stay with her despite your feelings for Jess? Did you forget about those feelings?"

"No, I didn't," I said. "I still like Jess, I'm never going to stop, but she had to leave and Carla was there. Carla filled the hole a little bit and made it hurt less. I don't know what's going to happen when Jess comes back, because I don't even know WHEN she'll come back! 3 months! She's gone for 3 months! She's supposed to come back THIS month. But I haven't heard anything. I called her lawyer and asked about the situation. How everything is going, and I get the same response. I'll call you. I'll let you know. Sorry for meeting someone that weakened the pain a little. Sorry for trying to be happy, while my heart is broken." I walked away. 

"You ok?" Alexia asked.

"Let's just get this trip over." 

Jessica's POV:

"I'm going to the game," I said. "I know. I know. It's close to where we live and they want to go. I'm not going to be near any of them, I promise. As much as I want to, I won't." I nodded. "When will I get to go home?" I looked out the window. "Yeah, I understand. Ok. Yes, I'll be safe." I hung up and looked around. 

"Everything ok, Rosa?" My host "mother" asked. 

I nodded. "Just checking in back home." I smiled.

"Spain right?" I froze. "It was in your file." I nodded. "Where in Spain?"

I smiled. "Madrid."

"Oh, I love it. Haven't been since I was a kid." She smiled. "Your family must miss you very much."

"I think they do." I laughed. "I told them not to call. It'd make it harder." I lied. "I'll see them soon though, hopefully." 

After watching Spain beat Japan in Orlando, then, unfortunately, lose to America in New Jersey, it was time for their last game. 

"I know it's your home," My host "father" handed me a bag. "So hopefully, this will make you happy." I opened it and looked inside. A Spain jersey. I laughed and took it out. "You can wear it to the game. Support your country."

I nodded. "I can. Thank you."

We arrived at Toyota Stadium and headed to our seats. I sat there in my Spain jersey and looked around. 

As game time approached, the lineups were announced. "Team captain #19 Amanda Sempedro, in goal #13 Sandra Paños, #3 Ainhoa Maraza, #6 Aitana Bonmati, #8 Mariona, #12 Patricia Guijarro," I looked at the screen.

"Patri's starting?" I looked to my left.

"Yeah. Is she any good?"

"Good? She's amazing."

"#15 Leila Ouahabi, #16 Mapi Leon, #17 Lucia Garcia, #18-Angela Sosa and #20 Andrea Pereira. The head coach for Spain is Jorge Vilda." 

Our seats were near Spain's bench. I noticed just how visible I was and pulled my hat lower. As the players walked out, I kept my eyes on Patri.

Patri's POV:

I stood on the field and looked at the crowd. There weren't that many people, but the ones that were there were loud. I noticed a few Spain flags and jerseys throughout the stadium. 

The anthem was played. Then it was game time. 

This game felt different. Something was different.

It was good though, I just don't know. 

Like something was missing in Orlando and New Jersey, and now it's here. 

It's probably not important though. 

Just focus on the game.