Worth Moving

Patri's POV:

The Japanese players ran around and celebrated. I walked around to each of my teammates, trying to console them after a loss. 

We came so close, but couldn't finish.

This one was going to hurt for a while. Especially for the youngest girls. 

I watched Jessica hug Laia. "They'll be ok." Carmen said. "We all will." 

I nodded. "I feel like I let them down." I looked at the field.

"You didn't." She patted my shoulder. "You didn't let us down."

Jessica walked over, still holding Laia. "Anyone else want to join in? She's not letting go."

I laughed. "Laia come here." She let go and latched onto me instead. "Ok." I rubbed her back.

"You should be proud." Jessica said. "I know you wanted first place, but what you all did here? Look back and smile. This is just the beginning for all of you."

Carmen nodded. "What happens now?"

"We go back to Spain." I said. "And we continue to grow."

Jessica's POV:

We got to the airport. A lot of the girls were still bummed out over finishing in 2nd. They're all still young though. They'll be lifting the trophy with the senior team soon enough. 

I felt eyes on me and turned to see Patri. "Yes?" 

"Can we talk?"

"Something wrong?"

"No." She sat closer. "I just like talking to you." She smiled.

"Ok. Well, what do you want to talk about?"

"Cats or dogs?" She asked.

I laughed. "Fair question to start with. Umm dogs." I said. "But I'm not one to turn down any animal that comes my way." 

"Even a lion?"

"I said I'm not one to turn down any animal, I didn't say anything about running." She laughed. "What about you? Cats or dogs?"

We sat there and talked about the most random things. We then boarded our flight and headed back home to Spain. "Jessica."

"Yeah?"

"That job I recommended you for? They'd love to meet with you."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"When?" 

"In a week."

I nodded. "I'll be there. Thank you." 

We landed and the players were greeted with media and fans. I watched Patri disappear behind a sea of microphones. 

"I'll see you soon." I heard Carmen. "Yeah, I know." I turned to her. "Ok. Yeah. I will. Bye." She hung up and saw me. "Hi."

"Hi."

"What happens next for you?" She crossed her arms. "Staying with this team?"

"I'm not sure yet." I looked at her. "You guys are going to move on to the next stage, I will too. What the stage for me is? We'll have to find out."

"Can we be friends?" She asked. "Like stay in contact?"

I laughed. "Sure Carmen. We can be friends since apparently we weren't already." 

"You know what I meant!"

After being welcomed back home, and giving Ona her silver medal. Everyone went home.

I found myself heading back to Madrid. 

September 2018

Patri's POV:

"Have you talked to her?" Aitana asked.

"Not much. We talked at the airport but haven't really talked since." I shrugged. "Why?" 

"Cause I knew you liked her."

"Ok, that's going a bit far. I thought she was pretty but I don't like her."

"Who does Patri like?" Leila walked by us. 

"Jessica. One of our trainers from the World Cup."

"Don't know her. Sweet little baby Patri. You've got a crush!" She wrapped her arms around my neck.

"Leila let me go!"

"My little baby! GROWING UP!" 

"Leila! I can't breathe!" 

She let go and looked at me. "Get your girl Patri!"

"She's not my girl! I don't like her!" I sighed. "Thank." I turned to Aitana. "Now Leila is going to tell all of Barcelona."

"Probably."

Jessica's POV:

"Ms. Rodriguez?" I walked over. "Thank you for meeting with us."

"Of course. Thank you for reaching out."

"We've heard a lot of good things about you from the staff with the under 20 team."

"It was a great group. Players and staff." 

"I hope you feel the same way about our squad. We just opened up and a few of our players were on that team in France. They're probably telling their teammates all about you right now." I laughed. "Come. Walk with me. I understand you're from Madrid?" 

"Correct."

"And the team you supported was?" 

I laughed. "Atleti." I nodded. "My brothers always had their games on. We'd always just watch."

"Brothers? Do any of them play?"

"I'm not close with my family. It's a long and personal story."

"Of course. I know you had a brief career?" I nodded. "Where was that?"

"Sevilla." I said. "Joined the youth system there at 14, joined the senior team at 16."

"How long was your time there?"

"4 years. Unfortunately, that's how long my career was." I put my hands in my pockets. "After it all ended, I knew I wanted to stay involved with the game, so I focused hard on school and now here I am."

"We're all about supporting our locals. I'm offering you the spot on our staff. I hope you'll accept it."

I smiled. "I haven't lived in Madrid since I was 14." 

"Don't like it here?"

"I never had a reason to stay." I looked around. "But this? This is worth moving back. I'd be honored to join your staff."

"Great. Welcome to Atletico Madrid." 

Patri and Jessica are now rivals! Did Leila tell all of Barcelona? We'll have to find out!

Jessica's backstory... ohhhhh boy y'all are in for it!