Perfect For Me

Soft chapter ahead. Little warning for the end, mentions of abuse, nothing too deep but just letting you know. See you all on Monday! I'm off to New Jersey!

Jessica's POV:

These days I've spent with Patri have been incredible.

She makes me feel human again. She expects nothing from me and accepts my wounds. 

And the best thing?

She wants to be there while they heal.

I laid on the bed and stared at the ceiling. Patri walked into the guest room. "What do you want to do today?" She asked.

"Come sit with me." I patted the bed. 

I heard her laugh and felt her next to me. "Is the ceiling that interesting?"

I smiled. "All the people I've been around in my life, I never felt safe. I always waited for them to abandon me like everyone else did. My parents, all those family's who passed me around like I was nothing. Javier." I sighed. "I felt worthless, unwanted." I turned to her. "Then I met you. I felt accepted and heard for once. I felt safe." I whispered. 

"I'm not going to abandon you."

"I understand that, but because of everything I've gone through, it's going to take some time for me to believe it. As much as I feel safe around you, there's that defensive part of me. Ready to pick up the pieces at any time. It's just how I am now. I put up walls, Patri. Walls that got higher and higher every single time I met someone new."

"Even me?"

"Even you." I sat up. She followed. "It's nothing personal I just can't."

"You don't have to explain yourself, Jess. You never have to explain anything to me. Not when it comes to this. I'm happy you feel safe enough to share these moments from your life with me, moments that you've wanted to hide away and forget. The way you heal is by talking about them. You keep it to yourself, they stay with you, always hurting."

I nodded. "I wasn't fully healed when you met me." I leaned on my knees. "Then the whole Google mess and having to talk about the accident. Just reopened wounds that weren't fully healed yet." I felt her hand on my back. "But I wanted to tell you." I turned to her. "I felt like I had to. Like I could. I could share that part of my story with you and nothing would change. And I was right. It didn't change the way you saw me. None of it did." 

"It's part of your story. It made you who you are. It wasn't all good, but you grew from it and now you're here. With me. I can't judge someone on their past, all I can do is hope that their past allowed that person to grow and shape their future. Getting bounced around, Javier, the accident, all of that made you strong. Family isn't what we're born into, it isn't what we're raised it. Family is whatever we want it to be." 

"You're so wise."

She laughed. "Just being a decent human. We're all here for the same reason. To live." She leaned closer toward me. 

"I don't know if I can be in a relationship right now." I whispered.

"That's ok. I'll be whatever you need me to be. I'll be your emotional support Patri." She smiled. 

Patri's POV:

I looked at Jess. She was outside just looking around. 

She is so beautiful. "Are you going to stare or join me?" She said.

"I didn't want to bother you." 

"Your eyes are burning a hole in the back of my head, Patri." I laughed. I got up and went outside. "You said you'd be whatever I need. You mean that?"

"100%." I looked at her. "Why?"

"What if I want to be in a relationship, but don't know if I can? All my relationships have ended the same way. Me getting my heartbroken. I don't think I'm good enough for you Patri. I have a rough past. A past that can come back." 

"We'll face it together then." I grabbed her hand. "I'll be whatever you need. Whatever you want. Let me show you that you are worth everything. That you deserve to be loved. I think you're perfect for me."

"I don't want to hurt you." She whispered. "Or see you get hurt."

"You got stabbed protecting me. I know you won't hurt me, just like I won't hurt you. I'll be your emotional support Patri and your defense squad all in one." I smirked. 

"Well, when you put it like that." She laughed. 

"We don't have to rush into anything." I said. "Enjoy every moment, as they happen. Make them last. Take our time, because the only people who matter are you and me. Since the moment you walked into that room." 

"This is Jessica Rodriguez."

"She can't be much older than us." Carmen whispered.

"She's beautiful." I stared at her.

"Oh great." Lucia smirked. "Patri has a crush."

Jessica's POV:

I stood in the guest room and thought over everything. 

How did I deserve someone like Patri in my life? It felt too good to be true. 

That I'd wake up in the morning and she'd be gone. Everything good I have right now would disappear. 

I'd be back in that car. 

The car that almost ended everything.

The car that restarted my life.

I looked over the scars from my life. 

Beatings, fights, football injuries, the crash.

The door opened and shut quickly. "Sorry I should've knocked."

"It's fine. You can come in." I put my shirt on. 

"I'm sorry." Patri looked down. "I didn't know you were." She shook her head. "Sorry."

"Say sorry one more time and I will hit you." I smirked. 

She laughed. "I didn't see anything." 

"Wouldn't matter if you did." I shrugged. "They're on me forever." She walked to me and grabbed my shirt. "What are you doing?" 

She held eye contact the whole time. She lifted the shirt over my head and looked at the scars. "Jess." She whispered. She touched close to the one from the stabbing. She looked at all of them. 

"That one was from when I was 8." I said. "One of my foster sisters."

"What about this one?" She touched the one on my shoulder.

"Javier." I looked down. "He didn't like the way I spoke to him. Pushed me into a table, the cut was pretty deep."

She looked at me. "I still think you are the most beautiful person on this planet." She whispered. "These just show me that you're also the strongest." I stared at her. "Fuck it." She whispered. "I'm gonna kiss you now."