Break

Patri's POV:

I ran and stopped in a nearby store. "Everything ok miss?" The owner asked.

"My friend and I." I said. "We were. Oh my god." I looked out the window. "We were walking. This guy started to follow us, I ran away and got grabbed by another one. She told me to run, so I did. I don't. Oh my."

"Ok. I'm calling for help. It's going to be ok." 

I grabbed my phone and tried to call Jess. It went to voicemail. 

I tried Leila.

"Patri! How's your date!" She answered.

"Leila." 

"What's wrong?"

"Please come get me. Please I need help. Jess is. I don't know. She told me to run. There were two of them."

"Patri where are you?"

She got there with Carmen and Lola.

"Patri!" Leila ran to me. "I got you." She held me. "What happened?" I told them everything. "Where is Jess?"

"I don't know. She went after the guy who had me. Told me to run so I did to get help. I just walked toward there but there's nothing. The other guy is gone."

"It's going to be ok. We'll find her." Lola said. 

Jessica's POV:

"Jess!" I heard. "Jessica!" 

"Jess where are you!" I saw flashlights.

I heard Patri. "Jess!"

"Patri." I said. 

Patri's POV:

The police looked around. "Jess!" Carmen yelled. 

I looked around. "Patri." I heard. 

"Jess!" I yelled.

"Patri."

I ran to her. "Jess?" She was laying there. "Jess! I found her!" I yelled. "Hey!" I kneeled beside her. "It's ok. We're safe." 

"Patri." She shook her head. She put her hand on mine. 

"Who's blood is that?" 

She looked down. "I don't know."

"Jess." I checked her. "You're bleeding." I looked at her side. "No no." I put my hands over it. 

"That hurts."

"I know." I put pressure. 

"Stop." She tried to push my hands away. "Patri that hurts."

"I can't stop. You're bleeding." 

"Patri!"

"Over here!" I yelled. Leila ran over with paramedics. "She's bleeding." I said.

"We got it." The paramedic said. "We'll take it from here."

I stepped back and watched. 

Jessica's POV:

"Well, you are lucky." The doctor said. "The knife just missed everything. Just going to have a scar." 

"Wouldn't be the first one." I said.

"Yes, I saw." She nodded. "I saw that you were in a car accident but a few of them don't match the injuries you sustained. A few of them seem more recent?"

I looked down. "I'm going to be ok?"

She sighed. "Yes, you are going to make a full recovery. Your friends are outside. Shall I send them in?"

I nodded. She walked outside and then Patri ran in. "Thank god." She came right to my side. "I saw the blood and,"

"I'm ok." I smiled. "Are you?"

"Yeah. Because of you. What were you thinking? They could've killed you."

"You're safe. That's all that matters."

"So how was your date?" Leila asked.

Patri rolled her eyes. 

"Getting stabbed on a date wasn't what I had in mind." I said. "But I had fun before all that. Hopefully, there's another date soon." 

Patri looked at me. "Really?"

"Really. I like being around you."

"Even though you got stabbed?"

"Let's be real here, I've been through MUCH worse."

"Like a windshield?" Lola asked.

"Dude." Leila sighed.

"What! She makes jokes about it!"

'Yeah but I was in the crash, I'm allowed to joke about my trauma. That was just fucked up."

Lola shook her head. "But it was well thought and very quick. So I'll allow it. This ONE time."

"Deal. I'm happy you're ok." She said. "You're starting to grow on me. And if something happened to you, Patri here would be," Patri looked down. "But you're ok, so it's not important." 

Leila, Lola, and Carmen left. Patri sat with me. "You don't have to stay." I said.

"You came here to see me during this break. So you will be seeing me." 

"But hospitals are boring."

"True but with the right company. They aren't that boring." She played on her phone. "Wanna watch a movie?" 

I moved over on the bed. "Join me."

"I don't want to hurt you."

"You won't." I smiled. "Please?" She nodded and sat next to me on the bed. "I'm happy I came here to visit you. I like hanging out with you."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I'm not the car crash survivor to you. Or the girl who made the wrong choice in friends. You see past it." 

"I do. There's more to people than their past. People learn and grow every day. And despite everything that happened before I met you, I don't think that Jess was all that bad. She just couldn't catch a break."

"I caught one now though." I turned to her. "You're my break." 

Patri's POV:

Jess was talking with Leila on the couch. "You really like her don't you?" Carmen stood next to me. I nodded. "What are you going to do, Patri?"

"Take it slow. She's been through so much I want to be careful. I don't want to rush her into anything she might not be ready for. But I also want her to know that I'm serious about my feelings."

Carmen smiled. "Sounds like you know exactly what you're going to do."

"I just want her to be happy, you know? I want to be one of the reasons she's happy."