In the Stands

June 2019

Jessica's POV:

Here I am.

In France.

Waiting for Spain to play against South Africa. 

When the lineups came out, I was disappointed to not see Patri. She would start this match on the bench.

I knew she'd be upset too. But this was only the first game. She'd have her moment.

I was lucky enough to get seats near Spain's bench. So I was able to see Patri, even though she wasn't in the game.

"You paid all that money and you aren't even going to watch the game!?!" 

I will be watching the game. Ok? Don't question me.

It's Patri.

You'd do the same thing.

Patri's POV:

"Aw your girlfriend is here." Leila smiled.

"I don't have a," I looked to where she was looking. "girlfriend." I waved to Jess.

"You're just adorable." Leila hugged me. "Baby goat!"

"Stop!"

"BABY GOAT!" Lola yelled. 

"This is why you warm the bench!" I pointed at her.

"And would you look at that." Lola smirked. "You're warming it with me. Baby goat! Baby goat!" She began chanting.

"Please let me get subbed on in the 45th minute." I closed my eyes. I looked up at Jess one more time. I pouted causing her to laugh. She gave me a thumbs up.

I took my spot on the bench and watched the match. 

A match that would be wild from start to finish. 

Jessica's POV: 

Spain was losing.

They were losing 1-0.

I don't even know what I don't know. They came back out for the 2nd half, Patri still on the bench.

"Put Patri in!" I yelled. She turned and looked at me. "Patri Guijarro! I'm your biggest fan!" I yelled. "Put her in!" She laughed. Lola turned and laughed too. "Don't put Lola in!" She immediately stopped laughing. "Lola sucks." 

"Why!" Lola yelled back. "What did I do to you!"

"Google it." 

She turned and sat down. 

"Got her." I turned to Carmen. "I got her."

"You're still on the whole Google thing huh?"

"You guys Googled me. Yes, I'm still on it." 

There was a handball in the box. The ref awarded a penalty and Jenni stepped up to take it.

"She's got this." Carmen said. We stood and watched. Jenni took it and scored. We were level.

"Yes!" I yelled. Carmen jumped on me as we celebrated. "Now put Patri in!" 

Carmen laughed. "Patri! Patri! Patri!" We chanted.

"Not Lola!" I added. 

Patri's POV:

Another penalty for us. South Africa had a player sent off and were down to 10 players. Jenni stepped up again to take the penalty. 

She scored it and we were ahead. 

Another goal a few minutes later by Lucia guaranteed us all 3 points in our opening match. 

After the game, we went back to the hotel. We talked about the match, what we did good, what we needed to work on and then had the rest of the day to relax. 

"Jess was very vocal in the stands." Leila laughed.

"It wasn't just Jess," I said looking at Lola. "I didn't know Carmen was coming." 

"Neither did I. Guess it was a last-minute thing. I'm not complaining. Having her here makes this experience better. Even if I am just warming the bench."

"You warm the bench and her heart." I put my hand on her shoulder.

"Never say anything like that again." She laughed. I saw Jess calling. "Go answer her." She pushed me toward my phone. "Come on Leila. Let's give her some privacy. You too, Vir."

"This is my room." Virginia laid on the bed.

"No, it's ok. You guys stay. I need to walk." I answered and walked out of the room. "Hey." I smiled. 

"Good win. We were a little nervous at the start there." 

"So were we." I laughed. "We got it though. Wasn't pretty but a win is a win. Hopefully, I'll get minutes against Germany." 

"You will." She said. 

"We didn't know Carmen was coming."

"Yeah, she decided to tag along." She laughed. "I had an extra ticket and didn't want to go alone. She asked if she could come and here we are. I knew she wanted to support Lola anyway. Who doesn't actually suck, I just know it pissed her off."

"She laughed a little. Leila, on the other hand, loved it." I smiled. "I was thinking."

"Did that hurt?"

"Shut up." She laughed again. "When this tournament is over. Whenever that is, of course hopefully it ends on July 7th for us." I took a deep breath. "We should get together. Do something. Some of the girls have a big offseason trip, usually to Ibiza or something. I want to just chill out. Want to join me?"

"Am I gonna get stabbed this time?" 

"No. And I know you have that famous smirk right now. Wipe it off your face."

"Well, whatever you have planned sounds like a lot of fun. Count me in."

"Great." I nodded. 

"You should go chill out right now. Be nice and rested for what's next."

"Are you saying that as my friend or trainer?"

"I'm not your trainer anymore, Patri. So I'm saying it as your friend who cares a lot about you. Take care of yourself, Patri. wherever we go after this tournament, I'd like to chill out. No patching you up."  

"It's a deal. I'll talk to you later, Jess."

"Bye." She hung up. 

I sighed and looked at the view. "I might have to speed this up a little." I mumbled and walked back inside.