VIII. Big Mistake

Julia's POV:

Whenever I see my prune hands and the sad excuse of a paycheck, my desire to be an adult decreases. My husband - if I can find one - will live with my parents.

Or his parents.

Whoever can handle us.

No.

Whoever can cook better.

"Cheer up." Brian rests an arm over my shoulders, "You can treat us to a meal at the Halloween festival. Then, you can get messed up at Nolan's Halloween Party."

"Can I get messed up now?" I ask. I lift my paycheck and fake a tear with my finger. After tax, I barely made it to a hundred.

"You're washing dishes," Brenda says. "Not discovering the cure to cancer. Don't expect your paycheck to be luxurious."

"Actually," Eric intervened. "Scientists who find the cure to cancer would not make that much money. Their discovery is owned by the company who contracts them."

"And?" Brenda question.

"Be in business. Business makes moola." He rubs his fingers together.

"You're all about that dough, aren't you?"

He glances at Brenda, "You better not pack that sass to the fully paid trip to Rome."

Brenda smiles, "If you ever pay for my trip to Rome. You can decide what goes inside my suitcase."

Eric snaps with his fingers, "Deal." He looks at me.

"I'll wear all the bathing suits you want me to wear for a free trip. But, you're also going to have to buy bathing suits."

Eric pumps his fists in the air while we all laugh.

On Monday, when we first walked through the hallway, we were impressed with the gloomy yet brightly decorated hallway. There were fake webs on the corners and lockers and fake spiders in every corner. The walls were covered with ads of booths for the festivals or haunted houses. Before and after school, there would be artificial smoke in the hallway.

The freshman was awed.

Seniors?

Not so much.

The school day passes like any others. Then, it was time to go to the festival. Friday festivals are for friends. It's convenient since we had school all day and will go to a Halloween party together.

Saturday is a family festival type of day. The day where a handful of us would wear dark sunglasses and curse how bright it is. We'll walk around without a single thought in our minds because the headaches occupy all of the space.

I'm not proud of my decisions.

But, whatever.

Yolo.

I'm an idiot.

At Brenda's house, I pull up the tight Minnie Mouse costume. "How do I look?"

We went to the festival. There wasn't much, so we left early. It isn't our first time, and it won't be our last.

"Like you're looking for someone to screw you tonight."

I turn towards the mirror, "Hopefully, someone that's not mini."

Brenda gave my sad attempt at a joke some pitiful laughs. I appreciate it.

Of course, I'm not looking to fuck anyone tonight. I don't want to be fuck while wasted. It's the worst feeling in the world. You would think you would lose your mind, but you only lose your senses.