XXXVII. Obligation

"You can stay up here," I said.

We look around the attic. It's still the same, especially since Kai comes up here and cleans once in a while. He told me it's important to maintain cleanliness.

I prefer not to ask him where he learned that from.

Marcelo huffs a small breath before he lays his duffle bag down. He found a place on the small mattress.

I sat beside him, "Why are you here and not a hotel?"

He wraps his arms around his legs and shrugs.

"Marcelo."

He turns towards me, "Being with you makes me feel less upset."

"Things haven't been going well?"

He shakes his head, "The world is nuts."

I chuckle, "I agree."

He laid down on the bed and rested his head above a single arm. Marcelo stares at the stars. It's one of those rare nights in winter where there aren't clouds, even when there's a storm all around us.

"What happened?"

Marcelo didn't respond.

"Or is it none of my concern?"

I'm mostly asking out of courtesy. Sometimes, I like to show that I care. But, if he chooses not to tell me, I won't push it.

"You know-" I didn't expect him to actually open up to me, "how that girl is the chosen one now, right?"

"Lana?"

"Yeah."

"Before you jump into the story. I have to ask, what is that? You know, the whole chosen one thing." I heard about the whole chosen one fiasco, but I knew better than to trust the words of others—particularly those who research everything online or heard it from someone else. Rumors spread. Rumors bend.

He glances at me, "Right. Humans aren't familiar with it." He exhales lightly, "According to the prophecies, once every thousand years or so, a chosen one will appear and rescue werewolves from extinction."

I find that utter bullshit.

From what they report, werewolves are thriving more than ever.

"Complete bullshit, right?" He says.

I wonder if my mind is easy to read. "Yeah." Since he knows what I'm thinking, I might as well not hide it.

"But, our elders believe all that crap."

"And Lana being worshipped in your community is a bad thing?"

"Well, I personally don't care much for prophecies. Whatever they want to use her for, it doesn't concern my pack or me."

"When does it concern you?"

"When she starts tearing apart my friends." He sounds hurt.

"What exactly happened over break?"

Then, the story starts.

Lana visited the werewolves community over Thanksgiving break. When they found out she was the chosen one, everyone's behaviors changed. They're either cautious around her, or they worship her.

Jenny didn't exactly like it that Lana got chosen. Her personality is straightforward. So, she calls them as she sees them. She called Lana a coward, and she doesn't deserve to be named as the chosen one; how everything is utter bullshit.

Of course, Cole has to defend Lana since she is his soulmate.

That was only the start.

Christmas arrives, and everyone returns.