XLI. February

January bypassed us, and soon, it was February.

I stare at the bundle of tulips in the front of the house.

"Idiot." I grabbed the vase and made my way inside.

Once I reach the kitchen, I set the vase down. Everyone had their eyes set on me. "This is from a boy who is trying to woo me." Or whatever it is that he is doing. "Any question may be asked after school."

A car honk.

"Pardon me but that's my ride." I escaped before they could start questioning.

When I left the house, I noticed how there wasn't a car at the front. I walk towards the street to see Marcelo's car. The window rolls down, "I'll give you a ride to school."

"My friends are coming."

"No. They're not."

I exhaled sharply before I got into the car. I have three options. One, let Marcelo drive me to school. Two, let my parents drive me to school. Three, walk to school.

I don't think I can handle my parents' questions or the cold.

"Thanks for the flowers," I said.

"Glad you like it," he responds.

"I didn't get you anything."

"I know."

The longer I sat there, the more guilty I felt. I shouldn't feel guilty about not getting him anything, but somehow I do.

"Open the glove compartment. I need to get something," he says.

I opened it.

There's a tiny box inside.

I look at him.

When he stops at a red light, he moves over and grabs the box. Then, he laid it in the middle, "It's for you."

"No, it's not," I responded.

"Yes, it is."

"No, it's not." I already feel enough guilt. 

"Fine." He rolls down the window, grabs the box, and throws it out.

I was too shocked to make any sound.

After a few red lights, we enter the freeway. "What did you just do?!"

"You didn't want the gift," he responds. "And I respect your decision."

"But...But-"

"And since you don't want it. It still belongs to me, and I choose to throw it out the window. Please, respect my decision."

I feel like I want to rip my hair out. Without control, I grabbed Marcelo by the jacket and shook him, "You crazy ass werewolf! Did you know what you just did! It's like burning money! You spoil ass nincompoop!"

"If we could turn back time, would you have taken it?"

"If I knew you would do that. Yes!"

Marcelo exits the freeway and stops at a red light. He reaches for the back of the car and pulls out a bag. "Here," he says.

I glance at him, "You knew-"

"That you were going to reject it. Yes."

"Then, that box-"

"Is empty."

"Tch. Smartass." I spread the bag to see a small box inside. Inside the box was a bracelet.

The bracelet matches the ring.

I huff a breath, "It still doesn't mean we're together." I took the bracelet off the package.