XXXI. Just a Friend

It's time for winter break.

"Are you sure this will work?" I ask.

"Yeah. Now, unlock the door," Marcelo responds.

I grabbed the house key and unlocked the front door.

"Julia. You're home. Come in the kitchen! I made-" dad stops talking when he sees us, "cookies."

"Dad." I gave him a tight smile, "You remember Mark, right?"

"Oh yeah. Nice seeing you again," dad said slowly. His eyes travel down, "And this is?"

Kai hid behind me.

"Dad. This is Kailyn. Kailyn is Mark's younger cousin." I hope this works. "Mark was wondering if we can watch Kailyn over the holidays."

"Oh? You don't want to spend it with your family?" Of course, it sounds odd.

"Kailyn's parents are overseas," Marcelo says. "And they don't feel comfortable having her at Nightwalkers pack house."

"Why not?"

"We're mostly males." I can't pick out the difference between truth and lies.

Mom left the kitchen and entered the front, "What's going on here?"

Everyone was quiet.

"Close the front door," mom breaks the silence, "It's cold." After I closed the front door, the five of us went into the dining room.

Dad and mom sat parallel to Marcelo, Kai, and me. I held the warm cup, and my finger unconditionally tapped against it.

"I understand it may be a bit uncomfortable for a werewolf to be staying here, but I assure you-" Marcelo says, "Kailyn is safe."

"Oh. No. That's not what we meant," mom says, "It's a bit unexpected."

"It's just for the holidays," I said.

Mom and dad stare at Kailyn for a ridiculously long time before dad smiles, "Will you be alright staying here with us?"

Kai nods. I told him not to say anything earlier and let us handle it.

Mom smiles, "Alright. Welcome to the family, Kailyn."

"Of course, we'll compensate," Marcelo says.

Compensate?

I don't remember talking about that.

"Oh. It's okay," mom says. "You don't-"

"Mom," I intervened. "If they want to compensate, let them compensate." I look at Marcelo, "You may continue."

"Don't listen to her." Mom glared at me, "We'll be fine without compensation."

Marcelo tucks his lips between his teeth to hold back the smile.

Darn it.

After Marcelo drops off Kai, he makes his way out the front door. Kai is in the living room, getting to know my parents.

"You're going back for winter break?"

Marcelo smiles, "You're going to miss me?"

"It was a common courtesy question."

He ran his tongue across his cheek, "Yeah. I'm going back for the holidays." He inches a bit closer to me, "But, my phone will always be on."

"Brian will like that."

Marcelo shook his head, "See you later, Jules."

I lean against the door frame and watch Marcelo walk towards his car. Once he opens the driver's side, he stops and looks at me. He gave me one last smile before he drove off.