LIV. That Man

I can't brush off the tiny voice in the back of my mind. The voice that tells me to be cautious of her. Maybe, I'm overthinking things, and in reality, Mrs.Rodriguez is merely helping me out of goodwill. Perhaps it's because I'm her student or maybe, it's because she pities the child in front of her.

I'm leaning towards the second thought.

But, would you really go that far to help a pitiful child? Lay your job on the line to- stop.

When was it that Mrs.Rodriguez started?

This year.

The thought had appeared before; how Mrs.Rodriguez was able to grab my file. Can a principal even have that much power? Even the previous principal and many before him never knew about the incident. It could go back as far as my elementary school principal, who specialized in raising young hunters, doesn't know.

My parents made sure of it.

The very few powerful people in town who know made sure of it.

Wait.

How did Mrs.Rodriguez know I'm mated to Marcelo?

At that time, the only people who knew were Brenda and...Marcelo.

"Hm," I responded. "Alright."

But, for now, I'll slip it to the back of my mind. I can't afford to think too much about other things. My head hurts from everything else already.

"Then, our transaction is complete. Good luck." She ends the phone call.

I also wouldn't say it's impossible not to include the idea that Rosario may know I would come to her for information.

I expected Rosario to dig up something, but I didn't expect this.

With the USB underneath my bed, a recurring nightmare made its appearance.

I was all alone in my house, at least for a moment. Not until mom appears in the living room with her face dug deep in her hands. When I called her, she would look at me with swollen red eyes then scream: "It's your fault! Your fault!"

Her voice was so loud; it could be mistaken as an earthquake.

No.

My body is trembling.

"Why?" Dad's voice. He's in the corner, dressed in prisoner's clothing, "Why?"

I inch closer to him, "Dad?"

"Why?"

"Julia?" Kai's voice.

Behind me stood a small boy, "Julia?"

"Kai. Wh-"

Out from the darkest corner I've ever seen was Mr.Rowland. He had this smile on this face. It wasn't the kind type of smile you would often see; it was wicked and bizarre. Two men grabbed Kai. "Julia! Julia! Help me! Help me!" He reaches for me, but I couldn't move an inch away from the spot I'm in.

"Mom! Dad! We got-"

No one.

Darkness.

"Jules?" Marcelo.

There he is, in front of me.

I grab his arm, "Marcelo! We have to find Kai! Mr.Rowland took him! And my parents, there's something wrong with them!"

Marcelo stares at me with what seem to be empty eyes. Then, without warning, he thrust me to the ground.

"What are you doing?!"