XXIV. Playing Hero

Everyone dreamt of being a hero at one point in their life. To step out of the shadow and into the spotlight.

To be more than a background character.

Well, I was no different.

I allow my justice to take over and become the hero I've always dreamt of. And with these powers and my intelligence, there was nothing I couldn't do.

But, playing the hero was the easy part.

Being one is the hard part.

Solve one problem, and another one appears.

I was eight at the time.

A genius in the spotlight.

Whenever my sense of justice sparkled, I would jump in and help them. And with time, the sweet whispers only grew louder. They said I was special. They said there isn't anyone like you. I got spoiled with delusions.

That is until I pick with the wrong people.

And it wasn't the criminal that turned their backs on me. It was the victim I had saved.

I was eight.

I got punched in the face two times for him to escape.

And what did he do?

He turned around and stood by the bully's sides. He said I was the one who started it.

That was only the start.

They rallied together - the people I had saved.

And the only bitter memories I had left was my small shattered body in the dark alley.

They taught me a lesson.

Do not interfere.

And they promised the victims...a chance of escape.

How?

Just simply: "Beat her up."

I was stronger than most adults—that amplified my pride. I didn't see how my talent crippled me.

But, that day, I realized that no matter how strong you are. One person can't stand against a group of people.

And no matter how much good you have done, the world doesn't change.

Nothing will ever change in this...filthy world.

There is no such thing as a "we" community.

It's always "me."

And if they have the chance, they will turn their backs.

The ones who gave me sweet whispers are the same ones who beat me down.

I was eight.

Eight!

I remember that guy's world to this day. "It's not a black or white world, kid." His breath had a heavy cigarette scent, "You wanna play hero? Then, be prepared to have your people turn their backs on you."

You could rebuttal.

Not everyone will be like them.

I could save Lana and earn someone loyal to me for the rest of my life.

But am I willing to risk it?

No.

I won't risk my life for someone else.

Brenda and I were inside a small cafe, not far away from the freeway. Brenda called Brian and Eric. They'll take the car home for me while Brenda drives me back.