XIII. Beautiful Emeralds

Julia's POV:

It took my ass for brain a whole week of being a hermit to figure out that everyone left.

I pressed play on my phone screen and got ready to go out. The wonderful melody drifts into my ears. I haven't shower all week, and I'm still in the same pajamas.

After I shower, I danced in a tank top and underwear in the living room, "I feel good!" I sing along with the song.

I lost a week worth of vacation because I was worried the werewolves are still in town, but it doesn't mean I'll drown myself in sorrow over it.

I grabbed the giant mirror from my bedroom, and the makeup kit then went downstairs. My skin feels fantastic after I treat it to a face mask, and the rest of my body is soft from the lotion.

"I feel good!" I scream even louder. I grab the makeup foundation. I cannot believe I'm putting on makeup to go to the grocery store.

But, that's how much - "I feel good!"

After spending thirty mirrors on makeup, I was satisfied with the result. No rush. I'm going to take this week slow.

I dressed in jeans and nice warm boots. After pulling on a shirt and sweater, I grab the oversized jacket.

Even when the music is off, I continue to sing to myself. When I open the door, the light beams into my eyeballs, "I'm melting!" I pretended to melt. After a few blinks before I grab the car keys.

What my parents don't know won't hurt them.

I press the alarm button and squeal lightly, "I feel good!" I sing my way towards the car. I feel the wheel, "I feel really really good!"

The engine sounds divine in my ears, and the fresh scent of cookies only made things better. My mom loves holiday scents.

"Okay," I said to myself. "Calm down, Julia. Remember you have the whole week. You must keep the house clean."

Pause.

"You must clean the house the day before mom and dad come home." Now, that sounds more realistic.

"Fill up the gas tank, so your parents won't figure out you used their cars." I can't change mileage, but I doubt they remember that.

After I finished giving myself a lecture, I drove towards the store. I wasn't worried. Just another day with the same illegal driving I always do.

When I stop at a red light, I play with the radio until a music station comes up. I bop with the beat, and when I stop again beside a police car, I smile at them. Usually, I don't smile at cops - no one does - but we happen to make eye contact.

The light turns green for them, and they turn left.

You're only guilty if you get caught.

Happily, I push the cart down the aisle. "Now, what should I cook?" I grab a few ingredients to make dishes for beginners. Near my eighteen years of life, the closest thing I've ever done to cooking is putting hot water into a cup of ramen. And even then, I messed up. Sometimes, in the middle of the night, I put cold water instead of hot.

"Julia?"

When I heard someone call my name, I looked up. "Mrs.Rodriguez." I smile, "How are you?"

My principal. Great. My first day out, and I'm already running into someone. I should've stayed inside the house and ordered in. This is what I get for being productive.

Mrs.Rodriguez had several items inside her cart. She's getting into the holidays. "Good. And you?"

Shallow conversations - the type I hate the most.