XXI. Indecisive Self

"Wait here," I told him. If it were my parents, they would never ring the doorbell.

I peek through the hole before I open the door. "What is it?"

Marcelo leans against the doorframe, "Well, hello to you too."

"What are you doing here?"

"Courting. You?"

"Busy."

He ran his tongue across his cheek, "Did I not earn some brownie points today?"

I chuckle, "For what?"

"I played my role."

"And I thank you for that."

"That's all? A thank you?"

"Very much," I add.

He licks his dry lips and leans inward, "You know what I wanna do right now?"

I tilt my head, "Shpank me?"

Marcelo's lips curl upward, "You should be thankful that God made you so adorable." His face was less than an inch from mine. "What are you doing this Friday?"

"Laser tag."

Marcelo didn't respond. Instead, he stares at me for a long time.

"What is it?"

"I'm waiting for my invitation."

"Do you have any shame?"

He laughs, "None whatsoever."

"What I'm about to do means nothing, and you should go home after." I lean inward and kiss his lips. Surprisingly, it's soft.

And I didn't dislike it at all.

More so, I actually enjoy it.

How horrible.

"Friday. Mall. Six-thirty. Bring a nicely wrapped gift. A doll."

I didn't give him a chance to respond.

Once the door closes, I cover my face with my hands. I cannot believe I did that. In the distance, I could hear the engine. When I looked outside, Marcelo's car was gone.

I wouldn't say the rest of the week is too bad. Everything was mostly normal.

The only difference was the townspeople only got more and more anxious about the werewolf.

Then again, they're always anxious about something.

Friday rolled around, and I got Kai ready for the birthday party.

"Is it okay if I come without a gift?"

I straighten out his shirt. "Don't worry." I fixed his wig. "You just need to have fun. Now, what do you need to do?"

"Climb out the window and try not to break a leg when I jump down the roof."

I would make a fantastic mom one day.

When I finished getting ready, I gave Kai the signal by tapping the top of the ceiling. I straighten out my coat and walk downstairs.

"Going out?" Dad question.

"Yeah. I'm hanging out with the guys at the mall. It's a kiddo's birthday." I tug on my boots.

Dad exhales before he takes off his glasses. "Hon, when are you and your friends going to grow up?"

"We are grown up. I'm very tall for a girl."

"No. I mean, think more about your future."

I took a few blinks, "I applied for college earlier this month."